Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Registered Mail to U.S. seems improved  (Read 590 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Registered Mail to U.S. seems improved
« on: August 27, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
Registered Mail to U.S. seems improved. In the past, some of you, like me, have experienced frustration sending registered mail to the U.S. Mail seemed to take an inordinate period of time,  the tracking was not very satisfying, and often the final tracking update was that mail had left a certain USPS facility for delivery ...  But no update that the mail was ever delivered.  Very frustrating!  Especially so as registered mail was (traditionally) supposed to be the most secure. In another lifetime, I worked for Wells Fargo Bank in San Francisco, and we used to send thousands of dollars of gold coins to branches throughout California via registered mail.

Happily, I just had an entirely different experience. USPS seems to have revamped their tracking system and it actually seems to work. Tracking updates at every single hop along the delivery route, e-mail updates,  and successful delivery notification.  I sent a package on 15 August, just delivered today, 27 Aug, 12 days, not exactly speedy, but quite acceptable.

I hope this is not just a one-off because registered is a lot cheaper than the EMS.

If you use registered mail to the States, please share your experience with it.

Henry

• View Profile
Re: Registered Mail to U.S. seems improved
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »

Rex,

What do you tell the post office when you want to send "registered mail"?

Also, how much cheaper than EMS? An EMS letter costs me about Bt 600!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »

Henry,

I usually go to the main post office on Klang Muang Road.  I tell them Registered Air Mail, cost 120 baht.

I track using Thailand Post until it leaves Thailand, then I follow it using the USPS tracking system (USPS actually notifies me when the registered letter is put into the Thailand Postal system.)  Where everything gets held up is in the New York JFK International Postal Distribution Center.  It enters but doesn't leave for at least a week, AND you never hear anything while it is there.

Once their Customs Center releases it, USPS tracking again follows the letter to its destination.  I haven't done it for about 6-9 months.  If the item is very important, I would send it by International EMS for the 600 BHT.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »
I recently sent the annual Social Security form back to let them know no change in my status. Sent it registered mail and it worked like a charm until the very last step. I know it got to a post office within an hours drive of Wilkes-Barre, PA, the final destination, and that it left that post office but no confirmation that it was delivered to the Social Security office.

Unable to get a satisfactory follow up from USPS or SSA. SSA says if they didn't get it they will mail me another form before the end of 2018.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
The Thai expression for registered is "Long tabien".

dingle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »
"long tabien" is Not an expression, it's an actual phrase, which i'm sure you will look up in your Thai / English dictionary roll

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »

The first time I got the annual form from SS, I told the guy at the post office to send it EMS. I almost shit when he told me Bt 600! I've sent the form back each year since (6 times), but I told them, just regular mail. Regular mail (tamadaa), is stamped "Air Mail" and costs Bt 28.  Never had a problem. I've heard SS will send 2 more times if they don't receive it before they will stop payments, so I figure one of them aught to make it.

I only use the Thai Post for important stuff, usually legal papers, so I guess I'll stick to EMS. That has always worked. Expensive, but it would be more expensive if it didn't arrive.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »
Today I sent my social security form via registered mail,  104 bahtski.  I'll update again when delivery is confirmed or doesn't happen. Hope the results will be as positive as as it was for the package I described earlier.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
UPDATE: Registered Letter Arrived!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
UPDATE:  Registered Letter Arrived!

I sent a form via Registered Mail  to Social Security in the U.S. on 29 Aug and tracking confirms it was delivered on 18 Sep. Unlike the past, the delivery was confirmed on both

Thailand Post tracking => http://track.thailandpost.co.th/tracking/default.aspx

as well as

U.S. Post Office tracking => https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=

Not exactly speedy, but proof of delivery in this case was more important than speed, and a bargain at 104 bahtski!

This is good news because my guess is that it was letters to big government agencies such as Social Security were the ones most likely to disappear on their way to delivery or at least not get signed for and recorded in the system as delivered.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »
I sent a registered letter to USA on October 10. Arrived to addressee (on east coast) October 22. FYI.