Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Bangkok Bank Debit Cards With Visa Logo  (Read 717 times)

Savannah20

• View Profile
Bangkok Bank Debit Cards With Visa Logo
« on: August 16, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
I was at a Bangkok Bank in Khon Kaen today, near G9 Condo/Fitness, and asked about the message on Bangkok Bank ATM machines about getting a new ATM/Debit card by the end of the year. What I think I heard is: If your card is like mine, a Be 1st Visa debit card that has the magnetic stripe on the back and a chip on the front nothing to worry about. If your card is like my wifes, a Be 1st Visa debit card that only has the magnetic stripe on the back you must get a new debit card that has the magnetic stripe on back and chip on front by the end of the year. The down side is they no longer have the Visa debit card. You will get the TPN (Thai Payment Network) / Union Pay debit card. The lady is not sure but has heard rumors that a Bangkok Bank Debit Card with Mastercard Logo will be available in the future. So my card expires in 2021 and I will need a new one then. My wifes card expires in 2025 but she must replace hers this year to get one with the chip in it. The chip is supposed to increase the security of the card which is a good thing. The down side, based on my experience a year or so ago, is the places I go to don't accept the TPN / Union Pay card. The places include Big C, Lotus Tesco, local golf courses and gas stations. Maybe the card is accepted in more places now. You might want to check your card to see where you stand.  Go Giants.....

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Bangkok Bank Debit Cards With Visa Logo
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »

Savannah20, thank you the info.  I hated that screen on the BBL ATM machines.  We (she) has one of the older "[font=]Be 1st Visa debit cards" without the chip so I guess we will be forced to get one of those TPN cards if we want to continue dispensing funds from ATMs.  We don't use the debit card for anything else but ATM processing.  We use my wife's credit cards for everything else that we want to charge.[/font]

[font=]So, which "Giants" are you supporting? SF or NY?  I am an "Indians" and, sad to say, "Browns" fan myself.[/font]

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »
The real Giants: San Francisco. Tight race this year. My son lives in Diamondbacks country.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:48:51 AM »
I myself have given up on the idea that BKK bank will revert back to Visa cards. I only use BKK bank to transfer money from the states to Thailand. I then transfer it to my account with Krungthai bank. Totally worth the 35 baht. Krungthai uses Visa. I asked if they were considering changing to Union cards. They laughed and said, no. They were getting too many customers from BKK bank to do that.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »
BKK Bank is not reverting back to Visa/Mastercard debit cards and the Union Pay cards are useless as nobody will accept them because of transaction problems. But it is easy to go and open a savings account with them. Today I went with my wife to SCB at Big C to open a new account there and they are just as stupid as BKK. They want my passport, my marriage certificate, my wifes ID, my wifes house book and they will send the information to Bangkok to see if I can open a general savings account with a standard Visa debit card. Does anybody know of a bank in Khon Kaen that uses brains and customer service to open a general savings account and supply a general standard Visa/Mastercard debit card. I do not have a work permit.Thanks guys for any help

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
I suspect that each branch makes their own rules up as they go along. I've never had a problemwith Kasikorn Thai Bank, back to even when they were the Thai Farmers Bank.  I have an accountat the Nah Muang Branch in town which I use just to pay standing orders for our water and electricity,
and another Kasikorn  one at Tesco/Lotus next to the new conference centre on Mittrapharp.
But I suggest you just keep trying.  Perhaps the next one with just say, "No problem, sign here".

parryhandy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 06:53:05 AM »
BKK Bank is not reverting back to Visa/Mastercard debit cards and the Union Pay cards are useless as nobody will accept them because of transaction problems. But it is easy to go and open a savings account with them. Today I went with my wife to SCB at Big C to open a new account there and they are just as stupid as BKK. They want my passport, my marriage certificate, my wifes ID, my wifes house book and they will send the information to Bangkok to see if I can open a general savings account with a standard Visa debit card. Does anybody know of a bank in Khon Kaen that uses brains and customer service to open a general savings account and supply a general standard Visa/Mastercard debit card. I do not have a work permit.Thanks guys for any help

Try Krungthai Bank near Tukcom. I was in and out in 20 mins with savings account with visa debit card kinked to it 10 years ago when Bangkok bank next door wanted a work permit or letter from my embassy.My non o visa based on marriage was good enough for Krungthai. Never had any problems with them.

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
Update:I went to Korsikorn bank in Nah Muang branch with a copy of my passport and visa page, copy of my marriage certificate, my wifes ID and house book and walked out with a savings book and a visa debit card. No Work Permit.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
Glad to hear it.
" if at first, you don't succeed..............".Well you know the rest ;D

ridge runner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »

a little off subject but I have a secured credit card(basically a debit card) from Bangkok bank it was fairly easy to get when I got mine, I believe the minimum deposit was 20,000 baht. It is a visa card. could be an alternative for some that don't want to have different bank just for the visa debit card.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
a little off subject but I have a secured credit card(basically a debit card) from Bangkok bank it was fairly easy to get when I got mine, I believe the minimum deposit was 20,000 baht. It is a visa card. could be an alternative for some that don't want to have different bank just for the visa debit card.
Can you describe what they needed and is this card also for use at ATM Machines ... or do you have to have both the Visa and the Union Pay "Debit" cards?

ridge runner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »
It has been a few years, but there was an application and I had to open the account to be used. then it was sent to Bangkok main office and about 2 weeks latter I had the card. yes you can use it an atm the same way you would any visa card. the credit limit on the card was based on how much in the account(the amount can be increased). there used to be some info on their website, haven't looked lately so don't know if still there or not.