Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Banks in Khon Kaen  (Read 408 times)

russell17au

• View Profile
Banks in Khon Kaen
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »
I received an email supposedly from my bank in Australia saying that my mastercard has been frozen and for me to click on a link but I immediately contacted my bank by phone in case it was a scam or was phishing. My mastercard which is a debt card has been skimmed at an ATM here in Thailand but they did not get the pin number but they tried to do a 5000baht purchase with the card and my bank stopped until they contacted me. My problem now is that a new card will be sent from Australia but it will take between 7 to 10 working days, so I am going to look at opening a new bank account here in Khon Kaen and transfer money from Australia via TransferWise. I know that many things have change with the banks here over the last couple of years. What I am looking for is a bank that will open an account with a foreigner and supply a debt card for use in an ATM. I know that the Bangkok Bank is using some new type of card that appears to have problems. Can some one please recommend a bank for me.Much appreciated

Windy

• View Profile
Re: Banks in Khon Kaen
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:14:29 PM »
I use Bangkok Bank, no problems. Internet banking, Visa debit ATM card.

Sunset from my bedroom window

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
I've used Kasikorn Bank for nearly 20 years, back when it was Thai Farmers Bank.  Never a problem and I use ATMs, internet banking to transfer my UK pension and have also  set up Kasikorn  standing orders and direct debits to pay the water and electricity.  Again, no problems.  Oh, I'm currently repaying a car loan to them.

But I suspect the bank for you is the one that will allow you to open an account with whatever visa you have and not put silly obstacles in the way, like asking for a work permit.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »

I have had a Bangkok Bank account with an ATM card but that is all they will allow me on a 1 year multi entry O-A visa, ie no internet banking etc.
I kept seeing messages on ATMs something about new cards but never read it properly  8)

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 09:33:27 PM »
Sorry, but I should have also listed that I have a non-imm "O" visa with extension based on marriage , no work permit

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 05:37:03 AM »
You have a 12 month extension of stay based on marriage.
Same as me.
I have had a bank account with SCB for years. Opened at the branch in BigC.
A very helpful branch and have internet banking.
Best to try banks in shopping centers that are used to foreigners.
Take your Wife with you as it should help.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that my Kasikorn branch is the one at the big Lotus next to the new KK Conference Centre.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »

I have a Saving Account at Bangkok Bank with internet banking, auto pay of electric and water bills, and got it with a Non-IMM retirement extension WITHOUT ANY ISSUES.  I WAS NEVER TURNED DOWN BY THEM FOR A FULL SeRVICE ACCOUNT!  Of course, I went there with my wife to get the account so that between my English and her Thai, there was never any problem applying.  Now when I did a change of address, I had to go to the main office in Khon Kaen.  Tried to do it at the branch in Tesco Lotus but got no where.

Oh yes, opened the account at the main office in Khon Kaen.

Bangkok Bank was the best alternative for me since I wanted to do DIRECT transfers from my US Bank to my Bangkok Bank saving account.  Since Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York City, they also have a bank routing number as required by ALL US BANKS.  I DO NOT HAVE TO TRANSFER FUNDS BY SWIFT, WHICH TO ME WOULD HAVE BEEN A MAJOR INCONVENIENCE!

So those of you who have had major problems with Bangkok Bank, not sure why you do, especially when you go to their website and read about their savings accounts for foreigners, which includes internet banking!

parryhandy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
I was refused years ago by Bangkok Bank (non o visa) here in KK, they needed work permit or letter from my embassy. So tried Krung Thai next door. 20 mins later I walked out with a new account with passbook and debit card all of which I can manage online from labtop or phone.
I do exactly the same as your intending Russell. I send money via transferwise every month and withdraw cash as needed or just pay using my krung thai debit card.
Its actually a savings account but does everything a normal bank account does.Just ask them for a debit card and they will link one up to it.
The only thing I don't like about it is if someone skims the card it would be very easy to empty the account as shops and supermarkets never check the signature therefore I only keep monthly spending money on there. I asked the bank if someone stole my card and used it would they return the money. Their silence spoke volumes.With my debit card I have fraud insurance for about 5/10k baht IIRC and 5k accident insurance but that comes with which debit card you choose. I have alerts when money goes in and out but that would be after the fact if someone makes a fraudulent payment/withdrawal. You can actually set daily limits in online banking on how much can be transferred online.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:17:31 PM by parryhandy »

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 09:30:23 PM »
Well, gentlemen thank you all for your input into this, but I have had one of the most excruciating days of my life since coming the Thailand. My wife had to go to the main Bangkok Bank office so I thought that I would try and open the account there. When I walked in I was pounced on by this older woman staff member wanting to know if she could help me, I used my iPad to communicate with them so I told her what I wanted and she took me to a young woman at a desk and it started, the questions, the paperwork and more questions and more paperwork and after 15 minutes I walked out of the bank with a savings account passbook, a debit card, an internet account and a SMS alert account. All I used was my passport with my visa and my Thai drivers license. I am not used to things being done this quick and this efficient, it was a shock to the system.But, the thing is I do not know what ATM machine my Australian card was skimmed at or when it was skimmed, they did not get my pin number so they made a new card and tried to purchase things with it but my bank in Australia froze the card, so be very wary gentlemen.Again I thank you all

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »

Russell, since all starts with you, you need to retrace your steps and think about what ATMs you used.  Their skimming electronics had to be 'installed' on one of them, usually in an out of the way location and not on one that is in constant use.

I think you have really done yourself a great favor and have gotten a Thai Bank ATM/Debit card.  Life will be much easier now.

The only issue I see is transferring money from Australia to Thailand.  I would imagine you would either withdraw funds using your Australian Bank's Debit card or setting up the ability to use IFT using Bangkok Bank's SWIFT Code: BKKBTHBK, but you already know that.

On my first long term stay in Thailand, I did the transfer from my local branch of the US Bank I was using and did a SWIFT transfer, easy and immediate.  After that I used my US Bank internet banking function to transfer funds to Bangkok Bank using their New York Branch bank routing number (I don't think Bangkok Bank has a branch in Australia though.)

russell17au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
There is only 3 ATM's that I use and none of them are out of the way and I do not use the card to make purchases and that is what my bank picked up. An unusual transaction.

I used to transfer money from my main account to a travelers account and then I could withdraw anywhere in what ever currency I wanted, but now I will change my whole banking system and do away with the Australian back and have the money paid directly into my Bangkok Bank account.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:06 AM »
Russell, that is very disconcerting.  You have to wonder where they got the card information.  I know my US bank had sent me several security notifications over the years when they saw an unusual transaction.  When I made a cash withdrawal, I got a direct telephone call.  The last one when I purchased something online at Aliexpress.  The initial transaction was put on hold until I confirmed that it was me making the purchase.

Rc27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 02:43:27 AM »
I use the anti skimming cards. Just pop one in your wallet. Sounds like you were digitally skimmed as an ATM would normally be monitored to get your pin code. Cam etc or a person close by.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »
So now the sophisticated criminals are now in Thailand and specifically in Khon Kaen.  didn't think about that.  Pray tell Rc27, where do you get one of those anti-skimming cards?