Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Where would you go if Thailand went "pear shaped" for expats???  (Read 470 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Mon 14 May 2018, 10:43 am

Here is an interesting an honest post on ThaiVisa.com by  spidermike007 discussing alternatives to Thailand for expats:

"That is exactly the topic that needs to be discussed. I cannot think of a viable alternative, within the restraints of my budget. I have considered spending at least a portion of the year in Spain. No other place in SE Asia is anything I find appealing . . . Read more at http://bit.ly/2Kl70Tw

Where would you go if Thailand went "pear shaped" for expats?

screamer

• View Profile
Re: Where would you go if Thailand went "pear shaped" for expats???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
Spain is a very good option with or without Brexit.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
A friend of my is here taking his CELTA. He and his GF just bought an apartment in Portugal.  People sometimes talk about Portugal being the "new Spain" for expats.

What do you think are the relative advantages and disadvantages of Spain vs. LOS?

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
Better, more predictable climate, more people speak English, cheaper than Thailand is now, if you order something in a restaurant they will tell you if it's not on tonight and all those other communication issues here that drive me nuts, high quality healthcare.......

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
And for the British among us,  only a  couple of hours from home.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »

Spain or Portugal are not on my list.  Portugal has major financial issues, the government is almost broke (unless they have done some corrective measures in the last few years.)  Neither countries' foods have any sweet 'n hot 'n spicy taste to them compared  to the food I love here in Thailand.  I don't think the Portuguese or Spaniards would be too happy having foreigners 'ruin' their countries!

A friend of mine with his Thai wife just came back from many years in Mexico.  He loved it, but his wife wanted to come home to her Thailand.  Said he would go back in a second.  They do not have the restrictive laws about what a foreigner can and cannot do, what a foreigner can own or cannot own, etc.  The cost of living is much like Thailand's and their food is hot 'n spicy, something I would be excited about.  Been there quite a few times and have found it a great place to live in the short term, probably in the long term too.

AND for us Americans, it just a few hour flight vs the 24 hour travel time to get from the East Coast to Bangkok!

I don't think their drug problem is any worse than what it is here in Thailand where I think the Golden Triangle is about the 2nd largest producer of drugs in the world.

Their peso is like what the Thai Baht was about a year ago vs US, GB, etc, currency.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 05:31:07 AM »
I would simply go back to America, as i am totally happy living in my own country.  Only here because the wife spent 10 years in America and now its her turn to live here in Thailand, then back to America in 7 more years.  Can't wait.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 06:59:00 AM »
I was hearing about someone who worked in Mexico and had to be taken to work in a blacked out car with protection as the kidnap risk was huge.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 07:11:47 AM »
Have you heard any stories of retirees being kidnapped?

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »

No, but that's not to say it doesn't/won't happen.
There have been several people killed and kidnapped  in South America (not Mexico I know) over the last few months.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
I hear Costa Rica is a "go to" place; cheap, beautiful, politically stable.  Also, Panama.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »
I hear Costa Rica is a "go to" place; cheap, beautiful, politically stable.  Also, Panama.
Before I moved to Thailand with my wife, I spent a lot of time in Panama for my job. If I wasn't here, I probably might have retired there. There's an expanding middle class and the poorer people are there are friendly and helpful.  Never had a problem. Still have friends there. My Thai wife liked it there too. She used to ride public transport all the time to get around while I was working.