Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Songkeaw  (Read 779 times)

russell17au

• View Profile
Re: Songkeaw
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 09:23:34 AM »
I have always called them a baht bus but my wife who is Thai told me that the small ones are songteaw and the big ones are songkeaw and that is the way that my Thai wife wrote them down. But irrespective of whether I wrote them properly it is easy to see what I was talking about, but it appears that if a person does not spell everything in accordance with what you perfect people want you just cannot understand without your political perfect nit picking. So good bye to khon kaen forum and its perfect people

ting

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
I wonder if the confusion was a misunderstanding. Maybe your wife wrote สองแถวสีเขียว "songthaew sii kiaow" (green songthaew) hence your "song keaw"

Just a wild guess on my part.

Calling it by the color is often the way to identify the route it takes.

Anyway, need to put on the thick skin when posting on public forums.
Cheers

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
Spelling of Thai words using the Roman (English) alphabet is fluid and  there is no universally correct or incorrect way to render Thai using Roman letters as there is in English or other European languages. That is not due to academic sloppiness. Rather, there simply is no precise way of expressing Thai sounds using a non-Thai alphabet.  Glang Muang and Klang Meaung are common examples.  The only exception I would site is "bath" and "baht"  You don't take a baht and spend a bath!

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 03:53:32 PM »

Russell,

I also thought you spelled it wrong as I have never heard of a "songkeaw", and I asked the wife and she hadn't either. As Rex said, there is no correct spelling using the Roman alphabet, so I never gave it a second thought.

I have seen what you call a songkeaw. I just thought of them as a big songtheaw. If it is indeed called a songkeaw, I would like to know so I can speak correctly should I ever need to use that word.

Anyway, songtheaw, songkeaw, nothing to loose sleep over, that's for sure. I hope you stay with us, you're a valued member of this forum.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »

For those of you with more than a passing interest,  this transliteration (if that is the correct word) is from someone that speaks both Thai and solid English and has the ability to provide an excellent translation of Thai words that have been put into the Roman alphabet plus their translation.

Songtheaw is really two words, but the Thais smash them together.  So here goes:

"Song" meaning is essentially "TWO"

While "theaw" literally translates to "IN LINE".

Together they describe ANY VEHICLE that carries passengers in "TWO BENCH SEATS" in the rear bed.  "Songtheaw" really doesn't describe the basic vehicle but how the vehicle is layed out in the back.

So any sized vehicle, pick up whatever size, 5 ton truck or any other large sized truck,  "Songtheaw" describes how it is used.  So when you say the word "Songtheaw" to a Thai, they know exactly about which you are talking.

Sort of funny then, a Thai Army truck 4X4, etc., layed out as a troop carrier usually has two bench seats, in line, and against the sides could be generalized and called an Army Songtheaw!!