Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: KKU, Rajapruek, RAM  (Read 2247 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: KKU, Rajapruek, RAM
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
OK, now you may want to read the following article.  If the Justice Department allows the merger to go forward, Aetna will become, CVS, which had been just a Pharmacy/Drug Store chain,

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/13/cvs-aetna-shareholders-approve-merger.html

Frank, what do you see as the practical impact of this on "end users"?  Is there any or is it just interesting?

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »
Terry, could you take  a couple of minutes and give us an update on your experience(s) with the "falang unit" (or whatever the correct name is) at KKU Hospital?  I searched for your previous posts but couldn't find the ones I remembered.  Must have been an the old forum, so way due for an update.

Tks, lah!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:30:47 AM by Rex (Admin) »

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
Yes, that was ages ago in the old forum.

My experience then was with Srinagarind (KKU) Hospital. 
I had an appointment with orthopedist for a knee problem.  I had first contacted this doctor through his private clinic.  He set me up with the appointment at the hospital.

A surgery appointment was going to be several months off.  Maybe 6, if I recall correctly.  When I expressed concern for that he told me they have an overtime avenue that could get me in much quicker.   He sent me to talk to someone to schedule the surgery.

The evening surgery wasn't going to be covered by my SS and was going to be more expensive than if done during regular hours.  Maybe twice as much?

I guess the first thing someone needs to do is see a doctor who will be doing the surgery.  Discuss with them the option of an overtime appointment. 
I'm not sure what specialty does hernias, so don't know where you would start.
My impression is that the experienced (professors/teachers) are the ones doing after hours surgeries.

I know one of the most often expressed complaints about government hospitals is the waiting time.
Both Srinagarind and Khon Kaen Hospitals have regular evening clinics.  Wait times for seeing the doctor, cashier and pharmacy are much shorter at the evening clinics.

A couple of tips re: waiting times.
You can use a Public Health clinic for ear cleaning, stitches removal, dressings and minor aches and pains etc. 

For lab tests I go a week earlier than my doctor appointment.  I wait until about 10AM or so.  Normally all the people scheduled for lab tests on whatever day you actually go will be done by that time.  This might not be practical for those living far from the hospital.  For me it works great. 
Last time I went it took me about an hour door to door, and that included me doing a 90 day report at immigration and the lab tests.

Don't know if this helps, Rex.

Terry

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »

Screamer, how do you know that you did not have "bunged up arteries?"

The BKK scan said one coronary artery was 30% blocked and another 45% blocked.
When I got back to the UK I had a proper angiogram which showed that neither was blocked.

A blockage of 30% or 45% is only considered mild and no surgical procedure is needed. You don't need any surgery (stent/open heart surgery until above 70%).
A small percentage blockage is a lot harder to see in a cardio angiogram than a cat scan.

I had the cat scan at BBK hospital Khon Kaen and they said I had 4-5 arteries that were severely blocked (70% or above, including two at 100%).
I then had a angiogram at Queen Sirikit Hospital (as it was much cheaper than BBK hospital) and they had the same opinion and that I needed surgery.

If I was you I would keep a good eye on my cholisterol and other risk factors going forward, and have regular tests. Heart surgery is not fun.

Sunset from my bedroom window

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 05:10:42 PM »

A blockage of 30% or 45% is only considered mild and no surgical procedure is needed. You don't need any surgery (stent/open heart surgery until above 70%).
A small percentage blockage is a lot harder to see in a cardio angiogram than a cat scan.
If I was you I would keep a good eye on my cholisterol and other risk factors going forward, and have regular tests. Heart surgery is not fun.

Not sure about that. My cardio, lead cardiologist at one of the UK's main heart hospitals, reckons that up to 50% of CT scans can be wrong/very misleading.

But no, no treatment needed at this stage.

The worry was that it had gone from zero to 45% in 7 years and my dad dropped dead of a heart attack at my age.

I have had excellent cholesterol levels all my life, exercise a lot, don't smoke, good diet so no lifestyle changes I could make.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:19:24 PM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 06:53:19 PM »
Rex, would you mind telling us what price you have been quoted for the hernia repair?  I did read somewhere that the soldier's hospital is a good place for hernia repair, but I don't remember where.

BKK Hosp/BOOPAQuote is B120K for everything.

BOOPA will pay 100% of B90K and 80% of B30K, leaving out-of-pocket just  B6K. I would go for that in a minute, but I suspect they will find ways to add to that. I wish my cashflow were not such a trickle to make a few hundred dollars an issue one way or other.  C' est la vie!

I  guess that Rajapruek will probably come in at half the BKK Hosp prince. I may be being too logical but I assume that means BOOPA will cover 100% of anything up to B90K. 

We shall see.