Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Online Banking  (Read 503 times)

Shipm8te

• View Profile
Online Banking
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
Do any of you gents or ladies have online banking with Bangkok Bank?  I submitted an application with my local branch, per the instruction on their web site and was informed I would have a reply in about 7 days.  Now a month later not a peep out of them.  Inquires only resulted in being told to wait.  Have been using this bank for 19 years and never had a problem of not response until now.

screamer

• View Profile
Re: Online Banking
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
I tried but my multientry 0-A visa wouldn't allow it.

Trainspotter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
SM8:

Bangkok Bank exists in two different centuries simultaneously.  Their brick and mortar business is a hundred years in the past.  Since you've been with them for so long, you already know this.  When you go in, there's lots and lots of paperwork which needs to be photocopied, signed and rubber stamped.  The last time I went into the main branch on Srichan road, the staff was still using a DOS based computer operating system.  They probably still do.

However, their online banking system exists in the present century.  It's extremely easy to make transfers between accounts, pay bills, and send or receive money from businesses and other individuals in Thailand.

But, to get the account set up initially, you have to deal with the staff at the branch here in Khonkaen.  Which can be a real pain.  Since you've already applied for online banking, I suggest you call the them a couple days in a row to follow-up, and then go in and politely require them to take some action before you leave.  Make sure that you get the name and phone number of the person you deal with.  Don't let them pawn you off with a number in Bangkok.  They'll try to do that for sure.  Then, begin calling them back after a few days.

As with anything in Thailand, never get publicly angry, because that does not generally produce results.  It's worth the time and effort in the end, so don't give up.  Good luck.
Cheers, TS

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »
Why are you trying to do it online?  GO TO THE MAIN BRANCH ON SRICHAN ROAD AND GET IT DONE!  I never had a problem dealing with the main office in Khon Kaen.  I tried to get an address change done at the Tesco Lotus Branch and gave up, then went to the main Khon Kaen Office.  Five minutes later, I was done.  (Maybe it was because I took my better half (Thai wife) who worked the language barrier even though the bank representative knew English.)

Shipm8te

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
I'm not trying to get it done online.  Per the Bangkok Bank web site, I downloaded the application and submitted to my branch in Ban Phai per their instructions.  They in turn after checking the document forward the application to Bangkok.  After, it was checked they informed me I would receive a reply in 7-10 days.  That has long past and the person that I presented the application to informs me to be patient and wait.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:30:30 PM »
There are several here who have online banking and good experiences with the bank. The branch on Sri Chan seems to have it's act together more than some others.  I am not one of them. My rants are available in the archives in the off-chance anyone is interested. Long story short, I have been with the Na Muang branch in KKC since 2005. When I first opened the account, they denied my application for online banking because I did not have a work permit and were unmoved by my explanation that I could not get a work permit because I was on a retirement visa.  At the time, my landlord was some kind of manager with the bank and he could not (or would not) intercede for me.  More recently, I tried again foolishly imagining that the bank might have evolved a bit over the span of 12 years. At first, it looked promising as the application process was now hooked up with mobile banking. However, when we went to the ATM to finalize the deal, it rejected me.  The bank explained that foreigners were often rejected. That was an hour of my life that I will never get back! Just in contrast, when I applied for online banking with Kasikorn 12 years ago, it was done and dusted in 15 minutes, no ifs, ands or buts..

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »
I guess everyone has their own stories of good results or catastrophes.  I was lucky, others not so lucky.

My biggest concern, whatever the bank may be, for US citizens, they have to inform the IRS through a W4 (?), your bank account information, no matter the amount in the account and have to report the status every year.  So when you submit your Form 1040, Schedule A, one has to report any earned income, as if t were a US Bank bank account, or you are submitting a false return.

Trainspotter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
Fceligoj:

You are correct in that US citizens MUST report all foreign bank accounts in their name to the IRS.  The form is called an FBAR and it can be submitted online.  Within the last few years, Thailand banking institutions have started to comply with an international agreement to report US citizens with financial accounts here.  The IRS is now heavily fining and prosecuting individuals that are failing to comply by not filing an annual FBAR along with the 1040.  If you need advice, feel free to PM me - Cheers, TS

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:01:48 AM »
I really wasn't asking for advice, already have the best solution working.  I never let the account go above $10,000 US.  It is much easier to just inform them on your Form 1040 than to submit a separate FBAR. 

Just making comments on the issue with transferring monies to Thailand from the US and leaving more than the $10,000 US equivalent in Bahts in a Thai Bank savings account..