Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: 3BB Fiber Promotion  (Read 1454 times)

retfed50

• Retired from US Government. Here since Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: 3BB Fiber Promotion
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 08:32:03 PM »
We stopped by the 3BB office at Central Plaza Friday afternoon to pay our bill. Asked about fiber and filled out the paperwork. They said it would be 5-7 days before they could install it. Wife got a call early this morning saying they would be here late morning to install. No fuss, no muss!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 09:54:13 PM »
Had ours installed this afternoon.  A man (sr technician) and his family installed ours.  No other technician with him.  So his two sons stood around watching.  One held his ladder for awhile but quit that after about 5 minutes.  His wife handled the paperwork and attaching the fiber to the browser.

Told my wife why should he share the 900 baht 3BB paid him to install.  Took him about 2 hours since my wife wanted the fiber to be install a certain way!  Gave him a tip also.  So all he has to do is install 3 or 4 a day and he will be one of the rich men in his village!

We are getting about 112 Mbps download/34 Mbps upload using the testing app on my smart phone.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »
After the technician left, I was checking out my smart phone tie to the new 3BB fiber.  I had TWO IDs!!!!  One was the one I established with the technician and then a 2nd one using the new ID followed by "5G".  On my old computer and my new Windows 10 computer only the on ID showed up when I went to attached.  BUT my wife's new ASUS Desktop had both.

Thought nothing of it until this morning when as I was using the new internet, it dropped out 3 or 4 times.  So my wife called 3BB, talked to a technician who said he reset everything and it should be fine.  If it did it again to call him.  While that did not sit well with her, she was adamant for him to come to the house.  He agreed.

About an hour later he showed up, and explained to us that yes, there were 2 IDs one that had "5G" following.  Said that was the most important one, both both would always be there.  On many of the older and some of the new computers, they do not recognized "5G" so you have to buy a MODEM with a USB connector to install in your computer to use the "ID + 5G".

There is nothing in their advertisements indicating this issue.  The router is a HUAWEI "Dual Band 1200M bps" router.  So maybe that has something to do with the 2 separate signals: i.e., "Dual Band".

But both of them are extremely fast.  When checking the speeds, we are at 112M bps Download and 40M bps upload on both of them.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Mu current  VDSL router has two bands.
2.4 G and 5G.
It is one I bought myself and not the cheap one supplied by 3BB.

5G band offers better reception and signal.
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395332,00.asp
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:25:42 PM by Red Parrot Fish »

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »

Some things, eg a lot of security cameras etc will only use the older 2G.

5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance.
2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »
Installed today and seems to be working OK.
About 120 to Thai servers.
Will test US and UK servers tomorrow as that is what we use.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
We just got a call today. They will come out Friday or Saturday to install. We live beyond the ring road and 3BB is the only internet out here, so I am pleasantly surprised and look forward to some better streaming.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 03:56:22 PM »
What a friggin' nightmare! 3BB out here today as advertised BUT ...  First the box was installed improperly - about 2 minutes after they left there was no internet. It required some additional password on the box. Then a different technician comes out and fixes that and devices are operating but now 2 hours later the download speed is between 5 and 15 mbps (not the 100 as advertised). Upload great at 34 mbps but need download speed and not getting it. Slow like dial up or worse. Now waiting for technicians three.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »
Are you connecting to the 5G signal?
Having said that, the 2.4 signal should still be a lot more than 15 mbps.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
I don't know why the 5-15 mbps. But now the rate (on my laptop) is 50mbps (no VPN).  Does not see the 5G, maybe too old (2012).  My Ipad was about 110, but with the VPN on only about 34. Mobile phone is about 70mbps. All of these on wi-fi and no direct cable connection.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 06:02:21 PM »
A VPN will always cut the signal.
Maybe your laptop is too old as you say.

Just done a bit of checking and some wireless cards to not support 5G.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:10:06 PM by Red Parrot Fish »

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »
Is 5G really worth it? Especially if you live in a two story house. Or if you live in a house with many rooms and walls.

The 2.4 GHz band is a pretty crowded place, because itís used by more than just Wi-Fi. Old cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, and other devices tend to use the 2.4 GHz band. The longer waves used by the 2.4 GHz band are better suited to longer ranges and transmission through walls and solid objects. So itís arguably better if you need better range on your devices or you have a lot of walls or other objects in the areas where you need coverage. However, because so many devices use the 2.4 GHz band, the resulting congestion can cause dropped connections and slower-than-expected speeds.
[/size]RELATED ARTICLE

[/color]What Are Mesh Wi-Fi Systems, and How Do They Work?[/size]The 5 GHz band is much less congested, which means you will likely get more stable connections. Youíll also see higher speeds. On the other hand, the shorter waves used by the 5 GHz band makes it less able to penetrate walls and solid objects. Itís also got a shorter effective range than the 2.4 GHz band.  Of course, you may also be able to mitigate that shorter range through the use of range extenders or mesh Wi-Fi systems, but that will mean a bigger investment.[/size]

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »
I think that powerline extenders work better.
They actually send the internet signal through the electric cables of the house.
Thus getting a perfect LAN or Wi Fi signal in the room the adapter is plugged in.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-link-tl-wpa4530-kit-av500-powerline-ac-wi-fi-kit-i9763504-s12230508.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommend_1.4.220e4bd57qnd2T&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.99110.0&clickTrackInfo=486cd0e7-dbc1-42fe-8890-bb076ce302ea__9763504__3964__1
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:44:04 AM by Red Parrot Fish »

Windy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
Does 3bb give you a public ip address when you install fiber?

I currently have 3bb vdsl and previously I had a public ip address (which is needed if you want to watch your internet connected CCTV when you are away from home), however they have now changed it to a carrier grade NAT (private ip address) so I can no longer view my CCTV when away.
I have phoned them a couple of times to get them to change my ip back to public but they insist it already is but I can check my ip and it is not public and router ports are showing as closed.

I'm just wondering if 3bb fiber is the same?

Sunset from my bedroom window

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
I keep the kids on the lower 2.4 Hrtz as their IPADS and phones don't have the 5hrtz capability.  Now my phone along with the Mrs has this capability so we are on the 5htz network.  Its just less clutter up there, but if your around concrete the signal will degrade as the higher hrtz has problems with walls and such. Does not affect the main PC as i run that with a cable. 

WIFI 2.4 vs 5 is not really something anyone should really be concerned with, if you want the 5 use it, if not the 2.4 hrtz works just fine.  Its just crowded, but if your in a concrete house you might want to stick with the lower hertz anyways.