Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: dimmer switch & CFL (compact florescent) bulbs ???  (Read 554 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
dimmer switch & CFL (compact florescent) bulbs ???
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »
Hiya FormMates,

These kinds of issues are usually outside of my experience and skill set, putting it mildly!

I am chasing my tail googling around trying to find information that is consistent and not so old that it no longer applies. Not as easy as you might think! Anyone out there wise to the ways of electric stuffs?

1. Can you use CFLs with a dimmer switch  (yes, apparently)

2. Internet says there are such things as dimmable CFLs as well as  dimmer switches made specifically to use with CFLs. Is that still true?  Do you have to use both or just one?  If you only need one, which one is better?

3. What are the chances of obtaining them at HomePro or one of the other big box stores?  Or anywhere else for that matter?

In the off-chance that anyone is interested, here is "The Rest of the Story!" What I want to do is use hanging sockets like the one in the photo with japanese paper or silk lanterns for a home photography/video studio. A lot of Youtube video makers seem to be opting for this as a good and inexpensive solution to home studio lighting. I want to use fairly high intensity CFLs. I assume there is no problem using them with the socket in the photo (?) I want a dimmer switch that I can either add to the  middle of the cord or that the cord will simply plug into.

I am counting one someone to know what the hell I am talking about!    Thanks, lah! 

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
Re: dimmer switch & CFL (compact florescent) bulbs ???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »
1. Yes but it won't dim. It will only switch on and off.
2. Yes there are or were but the electric here is so unstable that as soon as someone flushes the toilet or has a shower the light will go out.
3. They all had them but have not looked for a while.

CFLs are old tech now. Get LEDs and save money.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:20:05 PM by Red Parrot Fish »

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 11:11:53 PM »
Rex, here is an article on dimmable PEDs, dos and donts

http://luxreview.com/article/2016/02/10-things-you-must-know-before-you-dim-led-lamps

AND here is an article about not using non-dimmable CFLs

https://www.energycircle.com/blog/2011/09/21/why-you-should-never-use-non-dimmable-cfls-dimmer-switches

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 07:23:01 AM »
Tks, Frank.  I already did a lot of research before I posted to the forum.

If dimmable CFLs are (readily) available in Thailand, that would solve the problem.  If both dimmable CFLs and dimmer switches made specifically for dimmable CFLs, that would be ideal. I think I read, however, that the dimmable CFLs is mandatory whether or not you use a dimmer switch made for CFLs.

On the other hand, I have discovered that LEDs offer a lot of advantages over CFLs. I have CFLs in all of the lamps in my house, but never used an LED, would not have recognized one if it snuck up and bit me in the ass before I started researching this project. 

The only questions are whether dimmable LEDs are available in Thailand, whether they will put out as much light as CFLs, , and as your article discusses, whether you can find the correct dimmer switch to use with them which seems to be a rather complicated question.

They probably would not work for my purpose, but Phillips now has LEDs which not only have a three-way brightness switch built right into the bulb, but three different settings for color "temperature" (warm vs. cool). Pretty amazing!

I think the energy savings and much longer life of these technologies is fantastic.  However, I am kind of nostalgic for the old days when you didn't have to be an electrical engineer to buy a fucking light bulb!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
Rex,

We bought several of the multi-color LEDs.  They both burned out in less than 6 months of very little use.  Never got any of the three levels of brightness.

I have about 80% of our lights using LED lamps.  They are great, much better luminosity.  Besides LEDs for lamps, I replaced 4 of the circular ceiling fluorescent lights and several of the recessed lights (or down lights as the Thais call them) with them.  Great brightness, both warm and daylight.  A CFL of say 20 watts can be replaced with about a 4 watt LED lamp.  There is tremendous savings on your electric bill too.

By the way the LED ceiling lamps have a small ballast installed and you put it above the ceiling light hidden away.

I bought our ceiling LED lights at SCG on the ByPass.  The quality seems to be better than what I saw at Home Pro and Home Hub.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
You can also get emergency LED bulbs.
They contain a small battery so that during a power cut they continue to work.
I got mine in BigC.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Discussion of Ring Roads, Bypasses and Bicycling split into a separate topic.   smiley32

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
The more I thought about it, my statement was incorrect.  The LED ceiling lights don't have a ballast, they must have a small transformer to reduce the voltage.  as required for our glass cabinets.  But it is neither here nor there, they are still great lighting fixtures as are the bulbs for your lamps.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »
UPDATE

Visited SCG yesterday.  Dinky little light bulb section. Hardly anything to choose from CFL or LED, no dimmable ones, although that is straight-forward enough task if, you have the proper bulb and dimmer switch, it is becoming a less attractive option as the complications interfere. I saw exactly the one I had in mind on AliExpress for around US$30. A little high, OK if it would work. Not going to go for a "pig in a poke" for $30 bucks. 

Lazada has more on offer, and there are a couple of  Thailand bulb companies on the internet that deliver. The "problem" is that there are great deals if you buy 6 or 8 bulbs, but I would kind of like to know what I am buying before spending B1,000.

Saw a yootoob video yesterday of a guy shopping for bulbs at HomePro in the U.S.  The shelf with different bulbs on offer seemed to be 100 feet long or more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:47:28 AM by Rex (Admin) »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
I am posting this little video just to show a 2 second shot of the HUMONGOUS light bulb section in a HomePro in the U.S. You have to look quick, but the shelves go on forever! Advance the video to 3m 50s if you don't want to watch the whole thing

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:47:06 PM »
Rex, didn't say they had a large selection of lamps and fixtures but their ceiling LEDs are the best quality I have seen anywhere in Khon Kaen.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 11:20:42 PM »
Global has a huge amount of bulbs, too.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »

Ah, ha!  Here is the little scamp I have been looking for!

http://amzn.to/2HWJ74v

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 05:09:07 PM »
Rex, just looking at the Home Depot web page in the US.  You can buy DIMMABLE LED light bulbs for the equivalent of 80 BAHT!!!!  Only problem, they are 110 volt 60 cycle.  Wonder if you can buy them in the UK or other European countries.