Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Air Pollution in Khon Kaen  (Read 1040 times)

DNPBC0

• View Profile
Air Pollution in Khon Kaen
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
 In recent days the media have focused attention on problems with outdoor air pollution in Bangkok, especially the unhealthy levels of the smaller size particulates (PM2.5). These very dangerous pollutants are not monitored in all parts of the country, but the highest reported 24 hour average levels of these pollutants are in Khon Kaen where they are currently over 4 times higher than the World Health organisation guideline.
 http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/khonkaen/

Under these conditions the advice is that active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion. It should also be noted that while you can be protected by wearing a closely fitting face mask, the commonly seen surgical masks are next to useless, and you should use a N95 mask.
Peter

TerryLH

• View Profile
Re: Air Pollution in Khon Kaen
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Are you talking about the reported 800 reading?  I think that was dismissed as as a faulty report.
I saw a later report keeping KK in the top ten in TH, but I don't think anywhere near the x4 figure.

There is a discussion on another forum about face masks.  Apparently a decent mask is a 3M 3200.  Several others discussed.
Available through both Aliexpress or Lazada.

I'm not suggesting that precautions shouldn't be taken.  Any amount of pollution should be of concern to people with at risk conditions.

Terry

DNPBC0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
I certainly stand by what I wrote. I am not aware of any faulty report, but if you look up the AQI (air quality index) levels for PM2.5 in the link which I provided above you will see that, for example, the latest (9.00am today) 24 hr average AQI is 183.  The translates to a concentration of 117.4 g/m3. The relevant World Health Organisation guideline is 25 g/m3 (an AQI of 78). Any AQI level of  PM2.5 greater than 174 is at least 4 times the WHO guideline.  For conversion of AQI to concentrations (and vice versa), see => http://bit.ly/2nWz4Dq

Peter
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:20:38 PM by Rex (Admin) »

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »
All I know is, I have been suffering terribly for the last two weeks. I have asthma and I can't hardly breath here.  Need some rain to wash some of the particles out of the air.

DNPBC0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
I have no idea how my previous reply got mangled when I posted it.  This is what I wrote: I certainly stand by what I wrote. I am not aware of any faulty report, but if you look up the AQI (air quality index) levels for PM2.5 in the link which I provided above you will see that, for example, the latest (9.00am today) 24 hr average AQI is 183.  The translates to a concentration of 117.4 g/m3. The relevant World Health Organisation guideline is 25 g/m3 (an AQI of 78). Any AQI level of PM2.5  greater than 174 is at least 4 times the World Health Organisation guideline. For conversion of AQIs to concentrations (and vice versa) see:

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.calculator

Since writing the above earlier today the PM2.5 AQI dropped to 169 at noon, but my points still apply.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:23:06 PM by Rex (Admin) »

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »
It's official. Khon Kaen has the worst air quality in the country.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »
It's Smokey Bear.  Not Smokey "The" Bear.
A mistake millions make.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 07:33:44 AM »
For those like myself that might suffer from a respiratory disease or condition. Allow me to post today's  Khon Kaen, Air Quality Index.

I am sure Rex won't mind stopping his childish posting of Smokey Bear songs and let those that need this information to benefit from it. This was supposed to be a serious thread for the benefit of others before it was hijacked.

This reading is as of 5am this morning.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:59:04 AM by kowpot »

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 06:57:35 AM »
If you have been following the BangkokPost, look at the issues with pollution in Bangkok!  It reminded me of Beijing.  They said they are going to do something in about a month to alleviate the problem, like seeding the clouds, but you have to have clouds.  And why so long?

Also, they are not concerned with cities elsewhere.  I guess since they don't live there, they really don't care.

Every morning when I go outside I check the hood of my SUV.  It is covered with grit.  When you go and sweep the road gutter out front, there is always an accumulation of ultrafine sand/dirt, worse than dust.  Without rain, this will not change.  Nothing can be done about it when it is throughout the area.  We DON't open any windows in the house, only use a/c and we still get 'dust' accumulation.  The filters on the a/c's cannot remove all the ultrafine particles.  We even have four air purifiers running all the time.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
You can't do anything about it as bzillions of people who previously could not afford cars are getting them worldwide. I have not heard anything for a couple of years about the Indian "Nano," a tiny car with a $,1000 sticker price. If the thing is viable, so what if the eventual price if $5-$K.  That's another hundred or two-hundred million cars on the road just in India. Then in 20 years, all the bzillions of people who are now  babies will want one!  Public transportation is part of the solution, but only a small part.  Bangkok is dying in spite of Skytrain, an excellent system. Self-driving cars will help, but not enough.  They have to figure out a way to make fissile fuel non-polluting or transition to alternatives. Meanwhile, I guess pulmonary medicine is a going to be a growth industry!

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 08:34:11 AM »
The reports state that the air in Bangkok is getting better. I don't know what to believe.
But the fact is, the air in Northern and Northeast Thailand has gotten worst.

As of 7 am this morning this is the reading .....Not good..
Even if you are considered healthy. This can have adverse affects on you and your family.  Don't forget your pets. They suffer just as well.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
AQI chart.