Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Spaying a dog  (Read 481 times)

Henry

• View Profile
Spaying a dog
« on: January 31, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »

We want to get our female dog spayed but not sure where we should go. We usually take our dogs to the KKU animal hospital, but they often have student vets and for this surgery, we would prefer someone with more experience.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
NJV Animal Clinic
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »
Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:33 pm

Henry,

I would go to KKU for something life-threatening or requiring really sophisticated procedures. It's a teaching hospital, so I would feel comfortable with the level of care.  However, for spaying, vaccinations and routine procedures, who needs the red tape and sterile hospital atmasphere.  I don't much like hospitals anyway for man nor beast.

We have used  NJV clinic near Fairy Plaza for several years. Reasonable prices, good quality of care and convenient location. They even do house calls.  In fact, we have not had to go the clinic for years to get the beasts vaccinated. What a pain in the ass shlepping five cats to the vet! Although Papa Kitty passed away peacefully on his own from kidney failure, they had agreed to euthanize when the end got near.  That is unusual in Thailand!

https://www.facebook.com/NJVanimalclinic/

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
Re: Spaying a dog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »
We have always taken our dogs to KKU animal hospital for every thing and would always do so.
Good and not expensive.

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »

Thanks Rex and RPF,

We like KKU, but did have a bad experience with a student trying to draw blood.

We've never had a dog spayed before and am a bit concerned. Google sites give the impression after the surgery, we will need to monitor our dog 24 hours a day for 2 weeks! I'm sure that's a bit much. Here in the village, I would think after spaying, a dog is on his own.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »
Don't know nuth'in about no dogs, but have had many cats spayed.  They younger they are, the sooner they bounce back after surgery. Just like people, some cats tolerate the procedure better than others, and I suppose some vets perform the surgery more artfully than others which may contribute to shorter or longer recovery.  It involves a little incision about one or two inches, and a few stitches.  They do not display any obvious discomfort.  Usually they are back to normal the next day or two and totally fine after two weeks.  They seem to have a harder time recovering from the anesthesia than the actually surgery. I would think that the only "monitoring" involves watching for the rare occurrence of bleeding or the wound opening for some reason, or of infection.  We have never had any problem with any of that.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
โรงพยาบาลสัตว์เอื้ออารีย์.Eua-Aree Pet Hospital - Khon Kaen | Facebook

This is where we go. Very happy with their clinic. Had dogs spayed and neutered here.

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »

Kowpot,

When you had your dogs spayed, how was the recovery? Did they give you any specific instructions on how to care for them? The internet says they should wear one of those weird cone collars or they will bite at the stitches.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
yeah they wore one of those cones for a few days. Didn't seem to bother them too much. Only the smaller dog had a problem going upstairs wearing it.
 The recovery went well. Went back to the Vet after about a week and got everything checked. All was good.