Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Decent Food at a Great Price  (Read 977 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
Decent Food at a Great Price
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:22:05 AM »
If you have been to Fairy Plaza and know of their Food Court on the 2nd, you may already know this.  If you haven't, they have the typical vendor booths plus a Buffet Area behind with a great variety of dhishes.  During the day before 5PM, you can get the buffet for 99 baht, drink not included.

BUT AFTER 5PM, THE BUFFET IS ONLY 50 BAHT EXCLUDING A DRINK.  It is the same food as before 5PM.

This is especially great for us retirees!

kowpot

• View Profile
Re: Decent Food at a Great Price
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:48:58 AM »
Really?
.49฿ or $1.53 U.S.

I am not living that close to the edge...........55555555555

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »
Previously I posted in another thread at http://khonkaenforum.net/index.php?topic=470.msg4211#msg4211 Reply #20 about the salad bar here. It is still decent but the later you get there the less you find available.  Here was my review of the salad bar portion:
 There is actually a decent but small, western style salad bar at the 99 baht buffet (50 baht in the evening) off the food court at Fairy Plaza (level 2).
Selections:3 types of lettuces - iceberg, red and green leafyshredded cabbage with carrotsoniontomatoescornkidney beanscucumbershominyshredded chicken4 types of dressing - salad creme, thousand island, italian, vinegar and oil, and something akin to a "French" dressingAlso you can get from the regular buffet thing like bean sprouts, arugula, boiled eggs (albeit in a savory sauce), fried pork, isaan type sliced sausages. There might be some other items from the main buffet that you can also add to the salad.In the evening (50 baht price), they may run out of items in the salad or main buffet bar.End your meal with a little thai ice cream (or mix you own dessert with tapioca coconut etc.)

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
I question avvocato on the after 5PM comment or the fact that from his perspective it is only a salad bar.  They have about 10-12 entrees including macaroni in tomato sauce that is good.  We have eaten there many times for lunch and wanted to try their after 5PM buffet.  Everything was there as at lunchtime except the ice cream was all gone.  Yes, they have a salad bar too like avvocato stated but much, much more.To me, I would not call it a salad bar + but a true buffet that include salads.  Bottled water is 10 baht per bottle, now what restaurant do you go to that only charges 10 baht?

kowpot, how can you question the prices and then the quality of the food until you've actually try it.  You sure like to make your own conclusions without trying!  So, if you feel like it would put you too close to the 'edge', that is your choice!

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 04:23:55 AM »
If you read my comments again. You will notice I did not question the quality of the food.  I was just stating that I am not in a position where I need to find a place to save ฿.49.
Hopefully, I will never have to.

Where do you get off saying I like to come to conclusions without trying.  You don't know me!

There is a good chance that the things you find exciting about Thailand, I already experienced here some 40 yrs. ago.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:28:16 AM by kowpot »

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
Tsk, tsk.  Not talking about your comment about 50 Baht.  Yes, we as farangs don't have to worry about the  amount of money one has to spend on food.

It is the next sentence that caught my eye,

I am not living that close to the edge...........55555555555

Still great for retirees or anyone else.

And now you are coming to conclusions about me.

If you have been here for 40 years, it would be very interesting to hear how things have changed in those forty years. I understand even the road in front of the Khon Kaen train station was dirt!  Also, you must have been here when the the Communist Party was attempting to overthrow the 'democratically elected' government, and then the several minor coups after coups.  What about the time when Thailand had to deal with the Vietnamese  occupying Cambodia and making incursions into Thailand?  Those had to be the most interesting times.  Can you tell us about them since you have been here about 40 year, maybe off and on, but still here.  I doubt if any of the rest of us had any inkling about Siam/Thailand other than the war in Vietnam but that to most of us was 1000's of miles away.

Why don't you tell us some stories about Thailand, maybe even Khon Kaen those many years ago?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:37:38 PM by Rex (Admin) »

Tonytj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
Sounds like a great Cheap Charlie deal. I have to try it.