Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - avvocato

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Newbie Q & A Getting settled in KKC / Re: Bank Account
« on: January 20, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »

Now here is a negative, which I am not sure that other Thai banks have the same rules or not.  AND I just recently found it out.  Since my main account is from Bangkok (a different region), if I use a teller to transfer funds from a Khon Kaen-established bank account to one from a different region, there is a second charge called a 'commission'.  This really irked me.  If I do it online, no charge.  I guess a 'personal' touch costs!
Frank are you saying you can transfer the funds from your SSA account to a BBK regular savings account via an online transaction. I always thought that they (the bank and SSA) required you to do this in person? TIA.

It used to be that the bank letter certifying bank deposits and ending balance cost about 500 baht.  It has been a long time since I had to get one so maybe the cost has gone up.
For my visa extensions I've always used the 800,000 baht method. Bangkok Bank was only charging 100 baht for their certification/deposit letter past three years. I probably will be changing over to the monthly income method now. My SSA gets deposited to BBK automatically from SSA, every month, anyway.

Open discussion / Re: Who woulda thunk it?
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »
Beautiful place ... I practically lived there, while doing work for ACP (Panama Canal Authority). Still have a lot of friends there. If I wasn't retired here, I'd be there.

Visas, et al / Re: Unwritten Rule for Marriage Extensions
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »
Here is the FinCEN website where you file electronically:

Visas, et al / Re: Unwritten Rule for Marriage Extensions
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:36:18 AM »
Frank:I am pretty sure it is if the balance exceeds $10,000 any time during the year. Also FinCEN requires you to use the US Treasury foreign exchange rate as of December 31st of the year in question. The US Treasury published rate.

Visas, et al / Re: Unwritten Rule for Marriage Extensions
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:49:52 AM »
By law, you must file FinCEN Form 114 (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, or "FBAR") if both of the following are true:
You're a U.S. citizen or resident taxpayer or domestic business entity
You own, control, or have signature authority over foreign bank and financial accounts with a combined value over $10,000.
The FBAR is filed separately from your tax return and does not go to the IRS. Your FBAR is filed online through the BSA E-Filing System. The deadline for the FBAR is April 15 to coincide with Tax Day, but an automatic six-month extension to October 15 is available if your FBAR is filed after the initial tax deadline.
 The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) is a part of the governmentís efforts to combat offshore tax evasion. American expats of all income levels with foreign accounts and assets should know about it. FATCA requirements impact U.S taxpayers and overseas financial institutions:

U.S. taxpayers with foreign accounts and assets may need to file Form 8938: Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets with their annual U.S. Income Tax Return
Foreign financial institutions must disclose information about U.S. citizens who hold accounts overseas. Many foreign financial institutions must report their U.S. citizen and resident clientsí accounts worth more than $50,000.
 Form 8938 is the same as an FBAR in many ways. However, it has different reporting thresholds and requires you to disclose certain "non-account" assets such as:

Business and trust ownership/ Certain contractual investments with foreign parties

Expats living abroad have an increased reporting threshold. You donít need to complete this form unless your foreign assets exceed either:

$200,000 (or $400,000 if married filing jointly) at the end of the year, or $300,000 (or $600,000 if married filing jointly) at any time during the year


Getting to and from Khon Kaen / Re: Air Asia - Khon Kaen to Pattaya
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
U-Tapao brings back memories ... was a KC-135 Tanker crew member there.

Visas, et al / Is Khon Kaen Immigration moving?
« on: November 23, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
FYI ...

Visas, et al / Re: US Consular meeting in Chiang Mai
« on: November 21, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Yes, indeed.  If anyone hears anything, please share it here.  However, I can't imagine any usable news.  What are they going to say? "We agreed with request by the Kingdom of Thailand to stop issuing affidavits, so please comply with Imm regulations for obtaining your visas/extensions."    ??? ?
This was the only thing I saw posted about what transpired at the CM Consular Meeting.  Posted in Thai Visa Forum by PFV (Senior Member):
I attended the Chiang Mai conference this afternoon. I didnít take notes, so what follows is just my take-away from the event.
 The meeting started with introductions of local Chiang Mai consulate personnel and a guest speaker/expert from the Bangkok embassy who led the presentation.
 The meeting was followed by a lengthy Q&A session.
 1.      The decision to stop offering income affidavits was made by the State Department in Washington after contacts with Thai Foreign Ministry and Immigration Officials who were unaware of, or unprepared to recognize, the limitations of the income affidavit, despite the disclaimer.
 2.      There have been contacts at the highest level between the Embassy and Thai Immigration. These contacts will be ongoing at the local level. Earlier today, they met with Chiang Mai Immigration Police Division 5 to go over the upcoming suspension of the affidavit and related issues. Tomorrow they will be in Phuket to talk to Phuket Immigration.
 3.      Bangkok Immigration and Chiang Mai Immigration both are eager to assist in the transition and to make sure all Immigration Officers understand what to do moving forward.
 4.      Embassy income-verification letters will no longer be required.
 5.      Concerning proof of income, the Embassy and CM Consulate will be conducting training sessions to explain the various forms of retirement income US retirees depend on, which are quite different from European national pension systems Thai Immigration is used to.
 6.      One interesting observation was that they (Thai Immigration) had great difficulty in understanding the non-monthly nature of some income streams that they find unsettling.
 7.      For specific cases of required proof of income, US citizens should comply with their local Immigration Office guidelines.
 8.      Among other tidbits, the good news is that they will now accept 1099 and other tax forms, among other types of evidence, since these were explained to them in Chiang Mai, and that income can be paid into either a Thai or foreign bank account. However, the Embassy official opined, in a private conversation after the meeting, that transfers into a Thai bank account is probably what they will end up requiring in the future.
 9.      The Q&A session raised many of the issues discussed in these forums. Several questions concerning specific cases were answered by attendees with hands-on experience since the Embassy/Consular officials lack said knowledge.
That is all I can remember off the top of my head, I am certain that others will chime in to fill the many gaps.

Open discussion / Vehicle (Tax) Registration
« on: November 21, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
How far in advance can you renew the yearly vehicle tax/registration? Thirty days? TIA.

Visas, et al / Re: 90 Day Report
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
 When I renewed my visa retirement extension last week, Officer @ #1, removed the receipt from my  wife's TM-30 (last updated in July 2018) from my passport (I've always carried it there). Then he printed out a new form TM-30 which my wife signed (we live at "her" house). Then he gave the new receipt (printed out from his computer) to me in my passport and said all the TM-30 data is now in their database  (apparently it was not before), so now they can track better. I am interested in knowing what other recent renewal for visa extensions procedure folks had to do.I asked if they required a current (up to date) TM-30 when doing the 90 day report and he agreed. For what it is worth!
Just a note: Several weeks before this I did a 90 day report. This same officer took my TM-47 and supporting documents and NEVER even looked at it.  He tossed the papers onto his computer desk on top of equally disheveled group of documents. He read the passport bar code and printed out a new 90 day notification. That was that! (I always have included a copy of the TM-30 receipt in my supporting documents.)

Visas, et al / Re: 90 Day Report
« on: October 29, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »
I don't know if I have been reading accurately or not, but what I have gleaned from this discussion is not that we need to produce a TM30 (because, as we have said, that is the responsibility of the owner) but the receipt proving that owner filed the TM30.  Not that it makes much difference one way or the other, but have I been reading that correctly?
That 's all I got. The Receipt. My wife updated the TM-30 in August. I am going for my visa extension - retirement renewal in the next week to 10 days. I'll report back!

Visas, et al / Re: 90 Day Report
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:40:19 PM »
I'll find out, but I doubt the owner has ever submitted a TM30 in the 14 years I have rented this house.  Based upon this thread and similar discussions, I guess I had better be prepared for my renewal in December and have the TM30 with me.  Let me be clear, however, and advise others to do likewise, I will NOT produce this form until and unless asked for it by the officer during the my extension renewal.

So I can ease the pain for my landlady, can someone please outline what is involved with the TM30?  What exactly does dear, sweet landlady need to do?  Something  about filing it with the police or something? Can I get the form for her online or what?

Thanks, lah!
Rex: The visa holder (resident alien) has always been required to have the Receipt of Notification in his/her passport.  The Thai Bluebook holder/House master is supposed to give the receipt to the Resident alien. You've never shown this to immigration?

Visas, et al / Re: 90 Day Report
« on: October 28, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
A UK friend of mine went into IMM-Khon Kaen to do his 90-report, less than 2 minutes.
The IMM Officer noted that he saw that my friend's retirement extension renewal was required in November.  The IMM Officer told him that he had to make sure that the Form TM 30 be included or he and the owner would not be in abeyance of the law. ...
Has anyone renewed their retirement visa extension in the past month? I am due next month and I usually bring the Receipt from my wife's TM-30, a copy of her blue book and ID card, and a copy of the marriage license to establish my place of residence. She also usually accompanies me for the renewal. This year I also have a yellow book and ID card which I guess I can bring a copy. Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk