Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: 3 day 2 night quick unplanned trip to Loei Province  (Read 51 times)

avvocato

• View Profile
3 day 2 night quick unplanned trip to Loei Province
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
My wife wanted to take a quick trip to Loei Province. She did all the (lack of) planning. We departed KK at 11:00 am on 2 Dec and headed to Loei City.  My wife is a graduate of Loei Rajabhat University (agriculture major). On the first day we passed Loei city to the Phu Kradueng area. We stopped for some time at Suan Hin Pha Ngam (limestone formations and mountains). This is a nice stop and worth several hours to climb to the top and enjoy the scenery and views. Of course, great weather. Then we backtracked to Loei to get a hotel for the night and walk the night market there along the river downtown. (We winged it here and did not have reservations but had no problem finding a place (although it was three stars at best) because my wife is somewhat familiar with the area from her time as a student here.)
Next morning we were on our way to Phu Reua. We spent some time at Huai Krathing Reservoir.  They have bamboo raft-huts you can rent there. A boat tows you out to somewhere over the water and leave you there. They will deliver food and drink to you as well. You can stay all day or a short time. Up yo you! They use a flag system or you can call to order food and and towed back.  Then we drove around and stopped at a strawberry patch. We picked our own strawberries and I was surprised how sweet and delicious the ripe fruit was. The strawberry stands also sell strawberry wine, jam, juice and soda.
Finally we ended up a Loei Chateau. This is a winery. This was a disappointment to me. I do not think they give a wine tasting without reservation (or small payment) nor did I see a tour available. You can see the presses and barrels from windows in the shop and you can buy wine there. Then we left there headed back to Loei City and my wife drove around the university campus. Finally we headed to Chiang Khan for thr night.  Again nor reservations but my wife found a nice homestay (private rooms and bath) on Soi 17 between Walking Street (two minutes to Walkin Street)and the Main road at town. The town was packed with tourists so we were lucky. The place is called Sanaeha and they can accommodate two or three in a room with free Wi-fi and a community fridge. (091-352-8979 or 080-6377770).
Spend the evening there on walking street and had a good time. The river walk is also nice. The next morning we headed to Phu Tok to get up the mountain and watch the subrise over the Mekong valley rolling fog. It is a 15-20 minute drive from Chiang Khan and parking available at the small village there (along with food vendors coffee etc) You can only take a song Teauw to the mountain top (cost is 25 Baht per person, ticket good all day). Lots of people there and a very good view. Very cool. Then we returned to Chiang Khan and checked out and headed to Kaeng Khrud Khu.  Spent the morning there to lunch. Parking at the square is 10 baht.
After lunch my wife made the decision to drive to Nong Khai. This is a long drive, but you can make many stops for views and eats. My wife wanted to go to the riverfront market and buy some things, which we did. Then we had dinner on the waterfront and drove back to KK on Mittraphap Highway. The long driving on day three is something I don't recommend but hey my wife ...
Total km covered 836.6 km
Photo is sunrise at Phu Tok looking to Laos
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:12:21 AM by avvocato »

screamer

• View Profile
Re: 3 day 2 night quick unplanned trip to Loei Province
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
Loei is a great area.
The vineyard at Khao Yai also has a very nice Shiraz though the Loei Chenin Blanc was better.

avvocato

• View Profile
Re: 3 day 2 night quick unplanned trip to Loei Province
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
I agree. I can see ourselves going back again perhaps to visit the National parks. And not too far away.