Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Your most challenging adjustment?  (Read 85 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Your most challenging adjustment?
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Tue 5 Dec 2017, 2:40 pm

Hi ForumMates,

When you first moved to Khon Kaen (or Thailand) long-term, what was the one biggest challenge you faced in adjusting to live here?  How did you resolve it?  What advice would you give to newbies to avoid mistakes?

Henry

• View Profile
Re: Your most challenging adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:19:53 PM »

I would say, sources of information. I wouldn't really call it a challenge, but it was not as easy as today with the internet. Telephones weren't even available out where we are back then.

My best source of information was the VFW in Udon. There were guys who had been in Udon for years and without thier help and knowledge it would have been difficult, visas, buying land, etc.

Those guys had it tough. Before Laos was open, a visa run was a 28 hour train trip, (one way), to Malasia every 3 months!

Nowadays, anything you want to know is just a touch of the button on the computer.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
Now that I have been here for almost 7 years (plus 2 more on business), it took me a while to think about what was one of the most challenging adjustments to make.  Finally, it hit me, since that adjustment happened about 5+ years ago.

I got seriously involved with an young Isan woman and married her after about 1 1/2 years.  I met her in Bangkok and at that time did not expect to have a relationship anything different than in my home country other than she was much younger than I.  She had a job, albeit not a savory one, but she did, and she was going to a technical college to improve herself.

Well, shortly after all was said and done, I realized I was the her ATM, which was okay, then I became the ATM for the immediate family which I rebelled, somewhat.  Then I realized I was the ATM for the extended family and I really rebelled.  How did I handled it, I got rid of the problem, divorced her!

Since then, I have had a great life.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
For me it was food.  I still struggle to this day but now i make my own american sausage.  I have an oven so i can make most of the food i enjoy