Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Skytrain is looking like a useful option  (Read 148 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Skytrain is looking like a useful option
« on: December 03, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »
Construction seems to be moving along on the Skytrain project.  What is it actually called? When is the projected opening date?  Looks like they are starting construction on the Central Plaza station.  It took 30 min to get to Central Plaza by taxi yesterday, with chock-a-block traffic the last half-mile as we got closer to Central.  Especially on the weekends, seems like it "might" be a better option to taxi to the nearest Skytrain station, then non-stop to Central. I guess it would also depend on how often the trains run and how crowded they are. Other than going to Central, I can't image what I might use it for.  However, who knows what sort of interesting stuffs may open up near the stations.

avvocato

• View Profile
Re: Skytrain is looking like a useful option
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
Rex: The railroad construction going on downtown now is not the Light Rail Project.  It is improvements to the intercity trains.
http://thaiembdc.org/2017/11/20/light-rail-in-four-thai-cities-open-to-foreign-investment/
Light rail still in feasibility (and Enviromental) study phase.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
Say what?  Maybe I am using the term "light rail" improperly?  I am talking about the "skytrain"; the elevated train construction that follows the old train tracks until Central Plaza. Is that not light rail?   But it is in Khon Kaen, not "intercity."

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
I can't find definitive story on the present construction in Khon Kaen. But this website on July 31, 2017 ( http://www.atimes.com/article/fast-trains-nowhere-southeast-asia/ ) notes that, "Thailand is, however, moving ahead with plans to transform its single, one-meter gauge track in northeast Thailand in to a double-track, which would facilitate the transport of freight from the region to its deep-sea ports.  Work is already underway on building double tracks from Nakhon Ratchasima to Khon Kaen and southwards to Laem Chabang port. These projects should be completed in five years by 2022, but work on the Khon Kaen Ė Nong Khai connection hasnít begun for the double-track project, not to mention any high-speed connection.
Thailandís double-track plans were one reason negotiations fell apart between China and Thailand over their initially planned high-speed project as a joint venture. The original Sino-Thai railway was to provide a high-speed connection between Bangkok and Vientiane.
"
I also think the intercity high speed line has just been approved after serious negotiations, http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/construction-thai-chinese-high-speed-railway-begin-december/ .
In any event light rail is the proposed Khon Kaen intracity commuter line (as shown in your attachment) that will extend along Mittrapap Highway for the most part. That is a different project and not yet finalized. If anyone else has info or websites to peruse I'd love to read about it.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:48 PM »
Here is a facebook post shoeing Khon Kaens big megaprojects in the works ... https://www.facebook.com/KKT97/photos/a.294726084337824.1073741828.288055775004855/317732438703855/?type=3&theater

DNPBC0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »
It's now looking like the high speed rail link could be in trouble because of some dispute about whether it should be used for freight rather than for passengers. Can't see why it couldn't be used for both, but then my brain doesn't run along the same lines as those of Thais:
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2123006/thailand-pushes-high-speed-rail-link-china-be-used

Peter

Charlie59

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:45:32 AM »
I think there are issues with freight and passenger trains sharing a high speed line. Because the passenger trains would be running at a higher speed than freight. This means getting freight trains 'out of the way' while the passenger passes. A rail scheduler's nightmare.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
If you remember under the Yingluck regime, she wanted a high speed train from the North (Chiang Mai area) so as to get the vegetables and fruit to the Bangkok market sooner.  This was being considered without consideration for all those small truck drivers carrying the vegetables and fruit to Bangkok by driving all night so they would be in Bangkok in the early morning.  All those private truckers would then be unemployed, what a fiasco.

I don't think any other country, which has high speed trains, use them for anything other than passengers and small priority shipments not bulk.  I cannot see Thailand's use of high speed trains being very cost effective, and for whom?  Most Thais are poor and would not be able to pay the exorbitant ticket prices needed to make these trains profitable.  The plane rides to Don Muang for  590 - 1900 baht seems very cost effective for the 1 hour ride!

We took a passenger train from Wong Wian Yai (across the Chao Phraya River from Bangkok Metro) to Maha Chai.  If Thailand would upgrade their roadbed and the passenger cars, the system would again be popular.  Our train had a pretty good roadbed and the cars were fairly new and kept in good shape not like the Bangkok train to Khon Kaen and on to Nong Khai.  Cost? 10 baht one way!!!!

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »
The north south route does me no good they need an east west route along si chan road passing through khonkaen going over towards the lake.