Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Why are traffic fatalities so high in Thailand?  (Read 179 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Why are traffic fatalities so high in Thailand?
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
Sat 2 Dec 2017, 7:33 am

Good Morning ForumMates,

Why are traffic accidents and fatalities among the highest in the world in Thailand?

Lack of education
Pervasive cultural devaluation of safety issues
Poor driver training
Poor upbringing
Passive/aggressive way of defying authority
Happy-go-lucky, "Mai pen rai" attitude toward life

Perverse twisting of Buddhist fatalism:  If it is my day to die,  there is nothing I can do about it.  If it isn't my day to die, I can do anything I want (e.g., drive drunk at 100 mph in the rain) and it won't matter

Other factors?

What do you think?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:45:24 AM by Rex (Admin) »

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: Why are traffic fatalities so high in Thailand?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
I think you started a great list.  From my perspective, it is that Thais flaunt the traffic laws.  It is like everything else, Thais do not want to obey anything that constrains their attitudes, even the rules in these new villages that are springing up around Khon Kaen.

This last trip to Bangkok confirmed quite a bit.  Many of their 'super' highways in the Bangkok area have signs indicating no motorcycle, bikes, etc.  As we were driving, especially at night, we were passed multiple times by motorbike especially the super charged ones, and I was cruising along at over 100 Km/hr and at other times 110/120 Km/hr.  Wherever there were no toll gated roads, they were everywhere, excessively speeding.  And the police do nothing about it.

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 02:15:36 PM »

Why are the fatalities so HIGH?  The way they drive, I'm surprized they are so low!

Where we come from, kids start driving when they are 16-17 years old. Hardly anyone had a car here 20-25 years ago. People here are getting thier first car when they are 40-50 or even 60 years old. These older first time drivers, have the same attitude as the young kids, (remember what we were like at that age?). Thier attitude is: " I'm not going to have an accident because I'm an excellent driver. It's all those bad drivers that will have accidents."

It's like the roads have nothing but wild teenagers all feeling so invinceable.

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »
A culture which has developed into a general disregard for all rules (and laws), and thus the minor rules or laws are not even important enough to follow.
And if one gets caught, just bribe someone.
Of course, we also have the standard human idea that it will not happen to me.
God is the imaginary friend for adults.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »
Around here the faded road markings do NOT help, especially at night. Traffic going the wrong way along the shoulders (mostly motorbike but sometimes cars and pick-ups). Some cars traveling at 30 Kmh or less and others traveling at 90 (or higher) kmh also does not help.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
The wife and I travel quite a bit by car. I like driving, but I have my rules that I go by.

I don't drive at night.  Too many bikes and even some cars and trucks and farm tractors without lights. 

I don't drive during the holidays.  I don't think that if you have lived here for any length of time you need an explanation. If you just got here. Ask a friend or neighbor.  I'm sure they will agree with me.

Of course, I don't drink and drive. But, remember. Thai's do.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
I think most thais need more experience just with driving i think some drivers would do better with less tech in the car gps music etc etc and just focus on driving.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
Thai traffic light meanings:
Green means "Wait until I've finished sending this text message."
Amber has two meanings.
 a.  Put your foot down, the lights are changing.
 b.  Brake hard thus causing panic behind you, then as the lights go to red go straight through.
Red of course means there's time for three or four more vehicles to go through.

ian sutton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »
in all the years ive been here i have one rule whilst driving. never be in a hurry to die, i have a few golden rules
1. 4 second rule. hang back by 4 seconds from the car in front if some div jumps in front of you drop back again works a treat might get to destination 3 mins later but i get there in one peace.
2. if someone is tailgating me i dont get flustered or aggressive i just carry on doing as im doing, they soon get bored and pass or drop back.
3. I never race to cut off a gap a car along side me is trying to push into just let them in.
4. I do all long distance driving at night always have.
5. i find Farang in a lot of cases are far more aggressive than Thai drivers.
drive for yourself and pre-empt what others will do and you will be a lot safer.