Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: How is your Thai, anyway?  (Read 160 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
How is your Thai, anyway?
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »
Tue 28 Nov 2017, 11:51 am

Hi ForumMates,

How are your Thai Language skills, anyway?  How much Thai do you know?  How well do you speak the language?  Did you study formally or just "pick it up"?  How about reading and writing?  How difficult did you find the process?

How important do you think it is for expat to become fluent in Thai?  Do you think that is even possible or practical?

Inquiring minds WANT to know!

mrpunch

• View Profile
Re: How is your Thai, anyway?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
It's certainly possible to become very competent in the language - if you are prepared to put the effort in.

What is your own individual motivation for wanting to?  Do you need to use the language to survive? What advantages can you get from it? 

I'm largely self-taught, initially from books and latterly from listening and osmosis that follows from that. My individual as trite as it sounds was mainly about talking to girls.....

I have got to a stage where I can have a basic conversation and accomplish most every day tasks.  To be honest, my pronunciation is still absolutely awful but as vocabulary and sentence structure develops it becomes easier for the listener to fill in the gaps and understand you.

There are many factors involved, your natural aptitude or ear for language, age - is a massive one but I do know a handful of Westerners in Khon Kaen who are highly competent or even fluent.

Just try and you might surprise yourself!
Is my identity my own?
Why does anybody feel the need to f**k with it??

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »
As with most of us, tremendous progress in the beginning, with plenty motivation.
But my job abroad with months away at the time, made it one step forward and one step back.
Suddenly my Thai friends wanted to practice their English all the time, and I got stuck on that track.
Sounds familiar?
God is the imaginary friend for adults.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »
After 14 lessons I still only know snake snake fish fish.

It is far from pig pig or banana banana.

Over to you, Thai speakers.....

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
I can say the basics now i use the workbooks my kids bring home and try to pick up a few phrases soon enough i will need some formal training.

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »

Learning to read and write will make all the difference in the world.

I know it looks intimidating and I avoided it for years.

I met a young American exchange student in KK, and I asked how he was doing in school. He said fine and he said he learned the Thai alphabet in about 5 days! It only took me 2 months and I'm no brainiac, that's for sure.

When I hear a word that I just can't understand the sound, I tell the wife to spell it, and it becomes instantly clear.

I can't read newspapers or books, but it's great to be able to read menues, road signs, signs on shops, etc.

I went to a new dentist and when the receptionist gave me the registration form, she asked if I needed any help filling it out. I said no and I filled it out myself. I could read it, but I had to write in English. Writing is much harder than reading.

All I did was buy one of those little kids books like they have for English...A is for apple....B is for ball. They cost about 20 Bt so just buy one and give it a try, you will be surprised.