Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Khon Kaen tax office  (Read 2180 times)

LungBing

• View Profile
Khon Kaen tax office
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »
I have been having intense discussion with my UK bank, HSBC, about where my tax residence is.  I maintain it's in the UK because that's where my sole income originates via two pensions and it's where I am taxed.   They insist my tax residence is here and were not amused when in that case I asked for all my UK tax payments to be refunded!

I have no income in Thailand and because of having a 'retirement'  visa I'm not allowed to earn anything anyway.

I'm 70 years old next week and long since retired but this time HSBC are getting really nasty about it.  They want a full written explanation (!)  and threaten me with the loss of my UK account which would be disastrous.

So, I may have to go to the Khon Kaen tax office and  get a number which I will never use, just to keep happy some HSBC pen-pusher with a streak of meglomania.  And I thought the Spanish Inquisition had been disbanded.

But where is the Khon Kaen tax office, any help please, and if possible, what do they want from me when I do go there.

Thanks very much,

Savannah20

• View Profile
Re: Khon Kaen tax office
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:23:02 AM »
There is a big, new, nice looking building on Lao Nadi road which might be it. About 2 miles outside the ring road on your left.

Good luck.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
Unless it's moved, and I don't think it has, it's in the government complex East of the old regular bus station.
It's just East of the 'Airport School', (which is many kilometers East of the Airport).

The Revenue Office faces the main road.

It's been a long time, so I don't remember what info they wanted from me, but I'd guess it's the standard stuff like PP info, address and married status.  things that you might need for a tax return.
I remember them being very helpful, but you might take a Thai speaker with you.

Terry

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
My wife said it was in the complex that includes the Governor's Office building.  Seems like that puts it about where Terry said it was.

The one Lao Nadi Road is the Custom's Tax Office that includes cigarette and whiskey tax collection.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »
I plan to go early next week.  I'll report back for future reference.  Thanks to all.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »
Tanks for the info, Frank.

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 11:42:49 PM »
Yes, Terry is right, it's in the complex where the Amphur office is found.  As you turn into the car park is the first building on the left, you have to pass it to park.  Up the steps and through the door on you immediate left.  We went at 11am and it was almost empty.

But:  They just did not want to know or help me.  They told my wife that as I had no income in Thailand I did not get to have a tax number and  were very rude to my wife and told her we were wasting their time. Typical (un)civil servants showing off their power over a mia farang.

So this evening I have rung HSBC in the UK and told them there was no number forthcoming and they seemed happy with that, so long as I tell them why.  That's over the phone of course.  We'll see what happens when I return the forms.

JustinCase

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
Yes, Terry is right, it's in the complex where the Amphur office is found.  As you turn into the car park is the first building on the left, you have to pass it to park.  Up the steps and through the door on you immediate left.  We went at 11am and it was almost empty.

But:  They just did not want to know or help me.  They told my wife that as I had no income in Thailand I did not get to have a tax number and  were very rude to my wife and told her we were wasting their time. Typical (un)civil servants showing off their power over a mia farang.

So this evening I have rung HSBC in the UK and told them there was no number forthcoming and they seemed happy with that, so long as I tell them why.  That's over the phone of course.  We'll see what happens when I return the forms.

It seems strange that HSBC are causing these problems.

In addition to my State Pension I receive a COPIA Pension that is based offshore. The COPIA people recently sent me a "Coutry of Residence for Taxation" form that seemed to contradict itself with every other question. Anyway, after seeking guidance from both the Pension company and their Bankers (RBoS) they confirmed that I should state United Kingdom on the form.

I think this was "swayed" by the fact that although I do not pay any UK Taxes, Inland Revenue still have me recorded as a UK Tax Payer.

JC

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »
As am I. I have the UK state pension, a works pension and a tiny annuity.  All are taxed under PAYE in the UK and all are paid into my HSBC UK account.
With all the money laundering going on do they pick on the little people to show they are doing something?  I bet the likes of Starbucks and Amazon don't get this hassle.  (Paranoia mode setting in)
I replied today my registered  post so I'll see what they say.

Kajornsak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
The one on Lao Nadi road is where you go to get tax refunds.