Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Recent trip to Pattaya and Walking Street.  (Read 172 times)

mrmister1964

• View Profile
Recent trip to Pattaya and Walking Street.
« on: November 27, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
Was recently in Pattaya, a city I do not really care too much for.
Reason was family and friends who flew in for their holiday, so I had to.
About 15-16 months since last time I was in Pattaya.

Of course my family wanted to see Walking Street, which I really never liked.
Anyhow, we went.
Amazing to see the difference in demographics.
Several blocks before one enter the area has been totally taken over by Indians.
Indian shops, hotels, restaurants, etc.
Some Arab, but mostly Indian.

Then inside the street, there were these Chinese tours, with a guy leading with a flag on stick.
These groups of 20-30 came one after another. Everyone walking with their mobile phones over their heads, recording.
Must have been 200 groups from 7 pm until 11 pm. Seemed like it never would stop.
But then again, there are not exactly few Chinese around.

I also noticed Several of the bars in Walking Street have already been converted into Indian bars and discos, with very loud (Indian) music) blasting through the street.

Some girls complained to my wife that there were fewer and fewer "farang customers" coming.
For me and my family, as customers. It got tiering in the end being filmed by all the tourists, so we finally left.

Never again!

God is the imaginary friend for adults.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
Re: Recent trip to Pattaya and Walking Street.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:59 PM »
Pattaya.
Always a dreadful place that really cannot get any worse.
They try and promote it as a family resort. Lol.

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
Agree.

I think someone called it a shit hole, and I also agree with that.
Jomtien a bit more quiet, but that place is filled with very old farangs who sit and zip their beer in the local hole in the wall bar.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Yes, I agree, staying in Jomtien is better than the main course in Pattaya.  If you like seeing old men sipping beer, your choice.  We really use the hotel room as a base of operations, eating breakfast, sleeping, and showering, and don't sauntering down the street to see the sights.

Yes, the Walking Street is something into its own.  Put Bangkok's Soi Cowboy to shame, but there are several great bars there if you can ignore the tourist pedestrians.  Chinese and I don't think Indians frequent the better night clubs.  The street is really not for youngsters, can't imagine why anyone would take them there.

Getting to the Walking Street is something else.  We parked quite a few blocks away and started to walk and walk and walk.  Of course, there were hundreds of 'ladies of the night', all standing in the shadows on the shore side.  (On the way back to the car, we saw where a group of them had been rounded up by the police, guess the police wanted to share in the night's profits.  My wife laughed and laughed all the way to the car.)  Anyway on the way o the street, I finally told her to check what the cost of the Songkaew was, 10 baht!!  Couldn't understand why we walked instead of getting one earlier (but we would have missed the ladies of the night!! 555)

But other than that street issue, there is much to do around Pattaya.  We went to Nong Nooch Gardens, great place for the family.)  AND if you have your pink card, you get in for Thai prices.  Also, we went to the revolving restaurant on 52nd floor of the observation tower at Pattaya Park, which is part of the Pattaya Park Resort and NOT part of the entertainment center there.  I only had to pay the Thai price there also. 400 THB vs 600 THB!!  All you can eat for as long as you want.  It seems Pattaya has grown accustom to seeing the use of the Pink Cards by temporary stays farangs.  Went to Mamosa Mall including the Mamosa Cabaret show, great show!!.  Again paid the Thai price with my Pink Card, 150 THB vs 300THB.

My wife really likes the seafood restaurant, Mum-Aroi,  2 83/4 Soi 4, Pattaya City, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri 20150.  It is the best, a little pricey.

We also went to The Million Years Stone Park on the way back from Nong Nooch Gardens.

Also, it looks like the Russian have essentially left.  Saw very little of them other than on the Walking Street in their night clubs.

So if you judge Pattaya by the walking street you really do not give it much credit for all the other attractions that are there, too many to name here and too many to see in a short visit.

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »
Yes I also noticed there were fewer Russians than earlier years.
I guess that is because their economy took a hit.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
We go to pattaya cou0le times a year always something to do down there.  Many things for the kids during the day.  I like hitting the grocery shops on the last day to fill up my cooler for the ride back to khon kaen.  Food is cheap in resteraunts and the options are massive.  I have not been down walking street in years but then again there is much more to pattaya then bargirls.