Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: 2018 Social Security COLA  (Read 1200 times)

fceligoj

• View Profile
2018 Social Security COLA
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
See the attached website.  The COLA for 2018 will be about 2% up from the 2017 0.3%.  Medicare premiums may eat up a part of the COLA, but it seems 2018 is going to be better than 2017 net.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/big-social-security-cola-offset-153902100.html

fceligoj

• View Profile
Re: 2018 Social Security COLA
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
**********This is for US CITIZENS on Social Security*********

I wanted to check to see what my 2018 monthly payments would be going forward.  So I tried to go on "www.ssa.gov/myaccount"  AND THE SITE WOULD NOT RESPOND TO EITHER MY 3BB OR TRUE INTERNET ACCOUNTS!!!  BE PREPARED!!!

So I tried to use my VPN so as for me to look like I was in the US, and lo and behold, immediate response.  Printed out my letter and went happily on my way.  Since they have a 2 tier security system, you need to enter your User ID and Password, then the site will respond asking if you still use your current email address, answer "YES" and they send you a passcode.

If you haven't done this before, you will have to set up your 2nd tier security.

kowpot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 11:10:48 AM »
I have 3BB and for some reason, I have always had to use a VPN to log into Social Security web site.  I also, need to use a VPN to log into Tricare or E- benefits.

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
 "Printed out my letter and went happily on my way."

A couple of weeks ago I got a "Your New Benefit Amount" letter from SS. 
It shows the increased benefit, which was reflected in the Jan payment.

Is that the info you're talking about?

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:05:06 AM »
Terry, if it is a letter you could use with Immigration for confirming your income (of course, as supporting your letter from the Embassy), yes.

But since it has to be less than 6 months old when you renew, then I will get another one later this year.

Right now, I use it to model what is my estimated federal tax (along with my other income - company retirement payments, RMD from my 401K, etc.)  The Trump tax plan really does support the lower income'd retirees.  Effective tax rate - new: 11.4%  vs old: 13.5%

TerryLH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:23:00 AM »
Yes, I suppose it could be used to support the embassy letter.

While it makes sense, I've never heard that the proof to support the letter has to be less than 6 months old.  I just figured SS was letting me know how much I'll get for 2018.  A sort of file and forget letter.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 03:04:29 PM »
I usually take a copy of the social security letter and the one from my employer from whom I retired to the Outreach Program so as to have real backup to what I show in the Letter to be certified by the Embassy.  I know they ask us to 'swear that what we include in the letter is the truth and the whole truth so help me God', but to it is assurance that I am including correct information.  I guess you really don't have to do it and put whatever you want in that blank about your retirement income.

I get the feeling that many don't put the real amount in the letter.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
In an unofficial test, it seems to me that I need a VPN connection to connect to the ssa.gov site on the weekend but can connect directly during the week. I will test again if I can remember to.

Dave G

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
Interesting!  Which internet service are you using?

I used to be able to access my Social Security account through True and NOT 3BB.  Now it is neither (just tried it and it is 8:34AM, January 16 in the Eastern Standard Time Zone in the USA.)  I really don't care as long as I can access it using my VPN.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:04:45 AM »
I use DTAC.

Savannah20

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 08:57:40 PM »
It is Sunday night here in KK, almost 9 pm, and I just connected to the social security website, secure.ssa.gov, without using VPN. So much for my unofficial testing.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »
You're just one lucky guy!

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 06:31:40 AM »
Well, guess what?  The luck has expanded and includes me again!!  I just tried to get on the Social Security website under True and it allowed me to access the site again!  All is well in Khon Kaen again!