Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Don't neglect to get yer flu jab!  (Read 2405 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Don't neglect to get yer flu jab!
« on: February 16, 2016, 05:30:55 PM »

Tue 16 Feb 2016, 5:20 pm

Saw Dr. Ken today for my (more or less) annual flu shot.  Quick and easy.  Dr. Ken is no longer publicizing his contact info.  PM me if you would like to have it, but you can get your shot at all the hospitals and many clinics in town I reckon.

Especially if you are an old fart, influenza can lead to Rockin' Pneumonia and Boogie Woogie Flu,

smiley32

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
[REMINDER] Don't neglect to get yer flu jab!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Sat 17 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm

UPDATE

Hi ForumMates,

Just my annual "nag."  Saw Dr. Ken on Wednesday for my annual flu shot.  Based upon all the research I have done, it is a very good idea for everyone to get these annually, especially if you are getting older, are very young, have chronic health issues or compromised immune system.

I believe I have only had actual influenza once in my life when I was a young pup in my 30s.  There is no mistaking it.   Everything else has either been a cold or some other type of infection.  When you have the honest-to-gawd flu, it knocks you right on your ass like being hit by a freight train and doesn't let go for a couple of weeks. It is not only VERY unpleasant, it is dangerous if you are in one of the at risk categories.

End of nag!

TerryLH

• View Profile
Re: Don't neglect to get yer flu jab!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 11:16:38 PM »
Tue 16 Feb 2016, 5:20 pm
Saw Dr. Ken today for my (more or less) annual flu shot.
          &
Sat 17 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm
UPDATE
Hi ForumMates,
Just my annual "nag."  Saw Dr. Ken on Wednesday for my annual flu shot.

You got a flu shot twice in 10 months?  Isn't that unusual?

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »
Worth getting even if they do only work in 3/10 people.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
<snip> You got a flu shot twice in 10 months?  Isn't that unusual?

One can never have too many flu shots.  I used to get them every week, just to be sure I didn't forget! [Just kidding!]  roll

I try to get them annually at the end or the beginning of the year. Last year, I was a little late.   I reckon ten months is close enough to annual where it can't hurt. Now it is out of the way and I don't have to think about it for another year.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
Worth getting even if they do only work in 3/10 people.

Quote from: CDC
How effective is the flu vaccine? CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the flu vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness can vary, recent studies show vaccine reduces the risk of flu illness by about 50%  to 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are like the vaccine viruses.[/suze]

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 10:20:44 PM »
Just read in the AARP Magazine:

"11 Surprising Heart Attack Triggers"

Number 4 on the list:

"4.  Skipping the flu vaccine

A flu vaccine doesn't just protect you against that nasty virus. Recent research has shown it also helps your heart, decreasing your odds of having a heart attack by 50 percent in the year following the shot compared with those who don't get the vaccine. Now a study published in the journal Vaccine shows why.

"We discovered that antibodies that are produced after the vaccination activate molecular processes, which protect and strengthen the cardiovascular system," explains study coauthor Veljko Veljkovic of the Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences at the University of Belgrade in Serbia.

By getting the flu vaccine, Velijkovic says, you're getting a double benefit: protection against both the flu and a heart attack.

Itís especially important for those with type 2 diabetes to get the flu vaccine. The Canadian Medical Association Journal found it lowers hospital admissions for stroke and heart failure among this high risk group."

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »
PM urges at-risk groups to get free flu shot

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1259195/pm-urges-at-risk-groups-to-get-free-flu-shot

Flu shots are available from Thursday, 1 June until 31 August.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
BOOPA Free Flu Vaccination!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:31 AM »
Tue 22 May 2018, 10:11 am

Just got this SMS from Aetna (formerly BOOOPA)

Quote from: Aetna
Dear Rex Alexander, you're entitled to a free flu vaccination from Aetna. Pls show your unique code XXXXXXXXX18 for redemption by 15Aug18. For more info, pls visit http://www.bit.ly/2L3wHt3

If you gots Aetna/BUPA check to see if your plans provides a free jab!