Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Bars In Khon Kaen  (Read 6146 times)

Diew

• View Profile
Bars In Khon Kaen
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:19:29 PM »
I have heard of all the older bars in Khon Kaen like My Bar, Leos(now MiMi Bar) but these are all dead now!!! All up for sale!

I hear there is a new happening place called Bar Rain. Heard very good things about it! Anybody been there?

Windy

• View Profile
Re: Bars In Khon Kaen
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
I have heard of all the older bars in Khon Kaen like My Bar, Leos(now MiMi Bar) but these are all dead now!!! All up for sale!

I hear there is a new happening place called Bar Rain. Heard very good things about it! Anybody been there?

First post from someone who registered today, talking down current bars and talking up a new/unknown bar. ::)

Sunset from my bedroom window

stevve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 07:11:30 AM »
bar rain has been there awhile now

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 10:02:04 AM »
Unlike some other forums, we don't mind contributing members promoting local business.  We have zero tolerance for "drive-by spammings," but tasteful, relevant discussion about projects of interest to the community is welcomed.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 02:36:38 AM »
I am sure there are a couple places around the lake that have some expats stepping up to the bar.  I think Duncan made the right decision although I have not been in the bar since he sold it. 

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:57:36 PM »
Mon 4 Jan 2016, 5:47 pm

When I first came to Thailand, it was more of of an adventure.  Information was hard to come by.  No social media. No skype.  The early versions of discussion forums (usually called "bulletin boards" on those days) were primitive and not very visually interesting.  Falang could not get a mobile phone unless it was registered to a Thai.  Land lines were hard to get.  To phone or fax overseas, most falang had to patronize little shops that sold phone calls and faxes, and they were not exactly cheap.

Point being that local falang bars were important institutions for information and networking, not just places to drink and party. News and community was much harder to come by in those days.   Number 1 bar was like that.  Geoff and to a lesser extent Johnny knew how to use this forum as an extension of their bar/communities.  On the old forum, the Number 1 Bar thread had tens-of-thousands of posts, more than any other thread.

Anyway, this is not just a self-indulgent trip down memory lane. 

QUESTION :  Is one of the reasons  that falang bars don't seem to be flourishing as they once did due to the fact that they are simply not necessary as "institutions" they way they once were?

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
At one stage, there were 7 farang bars in Central Khon Kaen, Number 1, Seven's Corner, Eric's, Leo's, Rocky's, Cheap Charlies and Juniors. The only one of those left is Eric's (albeit under different ownership).
Most of them had friendly atmospheres, and as there were no blatant bar girls, and the majority of customers were married or in a relationship, things worked well for most bars.
Along came My Bar owned by Finish Tommy, and that was the start of the bar girl era.
In my opinion, that was when it all changed.
Has it improved ? I personally would say definitely not, as would the vast majority of patrons of the earlier days.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »

I am not a typical bar hop type.  My wife and I went to several of them about 4 years ago, but none seemed to have an appropriate atmosphere.  They were more like dives.

The clientele?  Way different than those I went to in the US before I moved to Thailand.  In one of them, there was a drunk close by who was crying in his beer about the way his ex-girlfriend treated him after all he did for her.  Just like you wanted to hear on a night out on the town.

The food?  Left a lot to be desired.

You seemed to have left out a couple of them, what about the underground bar at the Pullman?  There were a lot more farangs in there than Thais.  What about U-Bar or Harem?  I think all these are still going strong.

What about Blue's Bar or Didines or My Bar?  There has got to be others, maybe not in the area around the Pullman.

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
U-Bar and Harem are Thai orientated clubs, I would also not class a bar in a hotel as a farang bar.
When the bars I mentioned were operating, Blue's bar was Didines restaurant, run by Swiss Frank before he moved just down the road.
I mentioned My Bar as the first bar to introduce a Pattaya type bar, rather than the 'mine host' type bars already operating.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »
Happy Bar is good, Chillin Bar is good.  Eric's can be okay at times. Never heard of the bar mentioned above.  Dave's blues bar is good as well.  Especially for breakfast. 

Realist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »
Happy Bar is good, Chillin Bar is good.  Eric's can be okay at times. Never heard of the bar mentioned above.  Dave's blues bar is good as well.  Especially for breakfast.

I was actually comparing the earlier days, to what is there now.
If you were a new arrival here, you would probably think the bar scene here was quite decent, and a refreshing change from your usual, Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok alternatives. But anyone who has lived here from the early 2000's knows the reality, and the whole atmosphere and personality of the earlier bar scene has almost disappeared.
Having said that, I guess things have changed, in that period of time, in almost every city in the world, and will continue to do so, as we get older.

Rc27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 12:56:56 AM »
I'm sure that blues bar is for sale. Daves blues bar or something.

The nearest thing to a farang bar I've found is a little ice cream shop in KK city centre run by a farang and thai I think.

Pepsi pizza seems like a farang hangout sometimes.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
all bars are for sale, if your willing to pay the price. 

Tonytj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
"QUESTION :  Is one of the reasons  that falang bars don't seem to be flourishing as they once did due to the fact that they are simply not necessary as "institutions" they way they once were?"
My opinion: The demographics have changed. In the past, you would get aging babyboomers from the Woodstock 1970's mentality hanging out. Now those guys are senior citizens and have been replaced by the new generation, the Millenium and Gen X age groups who are the sons and grandsons of the Woodstock era. The young 30 yr old's prefer the clean high tech styles and do not like their grandfather's styles of bars and could care less about Hotel California. Out with the old style and in with the new style.

dingle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 05:26:29 PM »
Personnaly speaking. The reason i don't frequent the farang bars in KK is because they don't look like bars/pubs, more like mini disco's or cafe's. I'm from England, and i love the pubs that have good, solid furniture and a slightly dark interior. Plus, i don't like paying 100+ baht for a bottle of beer just because a girl puts ice in my glass.