Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: New TOPS Supermarket???  (Read 496 times)

martin

• View Profile
New TOPS Supermarket???
« on: March 25, 2018, 03:40:03 PM »
It looks as though we might be getting a new TOPS supermarket in Phon!

Some time ago, my wife said a TOPS was on the cards for Phon but I thought it unlikely - they only seemed to be in bigger cities rather than places like this.

It appears the tessaban had a public meeting, the decision was made to approve it and construction has begun during the last month/6 weeks and is progressing quickly.

Location - north bound Highway 2 at the southern end of Phon, next to the police box.

Whether it ACTUALLY turns out to be a TOPS only time will tell but it'll certainly be handy if it is, being less than 1 km. from home, even though we very, very rarely use the one in Central.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:31:16 PM by martin »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Re: New TOPS Supermarket???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
Could be a "mini-Tops."  That seems to be the trend these days.   TESCO has had mini-TESCOs for a long time now.  They opened a mini-BigC not far from us a couple of months ago, the first one I have seen. 

I am grateful for the Tops at Central, but is is not like the big ones in Bangkok or even the one in Udon.  The one at the Emporium in Bangers has a salad bar that makes ours look like a dumpster!

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:30:58 AM »
They opened a new Tesco near us last week.
A medium sized one.
Not bad but lacking a few items like cheese so will still have to go into town.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:31:12 AM »
I saw a new one in Kosem Posai a few weeks ago.  A large actual Tesco, not an express.  This one came with KFC,  i got excited drove down there to discover the KFC no have chicken yet, and really no farang food at the tesco at all.  Eh but still improvement over nothing but a wet market i guess.

martin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Work's progressing on this place and there are now signs outside saying "TOPS Plaza". It looks a fair-sized building and I'll try to post photos sometime soon.

According to a quote from the Inside Retail Asia website, "TOPS Plaza was designed as a means for the brand to open outside shopping malls owned by Central Pattana and Robinsons department stores where TOPS are traditionally located".

Because of the name 'Plaza', I'm guessing it'll be a mix of TOPS and other shops. Something like a mini-Central based around TOPS??

With this and Big C in Ban Phai, the need to make the 80 km trip into KK is reducing rapidly, which will be very welcome.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:19:46 PM by martin »