Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Originally, for the silk.  (Read 1788 times)

LungBing

• View Profile
Originally, for the silk.
« on: May 30, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
I had been holidaying in Thailand for years, always at the beach resorts.  Finally I went to a Tourist Authority of Thailand kiosk and asked them where else I could go.  They said there was the elephant roundup at Surin, and the Silk Fair in Khon Kaen.  So the next year I came here with the idea of buying cheap silk, taking it back, and selling it for a fortune, or at least enough to fund my next visit. 

Of course I knew (and still don't know) the first thing about silk.  So many patterns, colours, styles, and qualities so I gave up on that and enjoyed Khon Kaen.  I was staying in the Khon Kaen Hotel and across from the carpark was an upstairs office when dozens of people were working taking the census of Khon Kaen.  They lunched at food stalls downstairs on the little soi and I sometimes went there.  I ate there to improve my Thai and the  office workers spoke to me to improve their English.  This was in the days when if you walked through the market you could hear 'farang...farang'   said behind you as we were scarcer then. At the food stalls I was attracted to a girl, much to the amusement of her sisters and friends and we finally swapped addresses and corresponded throughout the next year.  I went back, met her family and proposed to her.  Her father, an old fashioned Thai man, was not best pleased, but came round and we are now firm friends.

If a fortune-teller had prophesised this part of my life I would have laughed at the impossibility of it.  But here I am.

tcris52

• View Profile
Re: Originally, for the silk.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
Been a while since the last post, but I'll change that.

I was in Khorat in 1968-68 in the US Army. I always had a thought of returning to Thailand in the back of my mind. Then, in late 2007, I got divorced and got laid off. Couldn't afford to live in the US any more, so I figured this is my chance. I knew I wanted to return to Isaan and Khon Kaen looked attractive. In 2008, I was offered a couple of jobs teaching, one of which was in Khon Kaen. Within a couple of months, I was picked up by KKU as a lecturer and I've been here ever since.

I plan on staying here until whatever comes next, probably a trip to the incinerator at the local temple.

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
Lived in Bangkok for many years.
Due to my job overseas I was away for 3-4 months at the time.
My wife did not have any relatives in Bangkok, so we decided to move to this region.
She is from one of the neighbour provinces, so easy for her to drive and visit family.
KKC was the biggest city in this area with some sort of international scene.
God is the imaginary friend for adults.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
Not much international scene but a nice place to live.
Probably because of not much international scene.
It is Thai.

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
What I meant was,
 several restaurant with various international food, several bars for foreigners, some night clubs for Thai and foreigners, Shopping mall with international stuff as food and clothing, a relative big international faculty at KKU.
 :)

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:52:29 PM »
I came here to Thailand on business opportunities with the Royal Thai Air Force.  From the start, I thought this had to be the place where I would want to live out my retired years compared to the US and all the negative things about living there.  Of course, went through the usual, a divorce, so with that out of the way, kept trying drum up business here.  Retired in 2008 and moved permanently to Thailand in 2010.

In 2007, met the typical ISAN girl in Bangkok in one of those places we all know about and being on the rebound got married to that ISAN witch.  Thank god I got out of that relationship with minimal impact.  But then instead of going back to the US right away stayed since I did not want to stiff my landlord by breaking a lease.  Met my current Thai wife of Chinese decent (thank god not a Thai Thai).  She had her own business and it was like we were made to be together.  Is that what you call karma, or is it destiny?  Married on 12-12-2012 and have been one happy man without a care in the world.  NO CHILDREN!

mrmister1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »
Thank God I found a Thai Thai, and not a CHINESE!

DNPBC0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 08:40:39 PM »
Over 9 years ago I married a Thai Thai, a typical Isaan ‘girl’ originally from a small village near Ban Phai.  She has a 2 now adult children, a son and daughter, and I have an adult daughter in New Zealand.  Together, we also have a 4 yr old daughter who has been in our care since soon after her birth and whom we subsequently adopted.   We weren’t made for each other - our very different cultural backgrounds ruled that out – and we certainly can’t claim to be without a care in the world. We also have nothing to thank God for because we are both followers of the Buddha’s dharma and think that we largely create our own destiny by our intentional actions - Buddha’s concept of karma.  Nevertheless, against all the odds it would seem, we are very happy together.

Peter

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »
Been married to a typical Thai Isaan girl for 13 years now.
Best thing that ever happened to me.
Hardly ever a cross word in all that time.
She is honest, trustworthy, and always smiling.
Unlike the old bag I married in the west.  8)

So happy I did not chose another western woman or a Chinese Thai.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:33:45 PM by Red Parrot Fish »

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »

40 years ago, I married a beautiful, young Khon Kaen girl. We spent our first 20 years in the US, working hard, raising our family and planning our future.

We have been very lucky. All our plans have worked out better than we had hoped for. I think the key is that, living and working in a farang country, she saw that money doesn't grow on trees there. Also, we wanted to live in Thailand when we first got married, but we knew, financially, that wasn't possible, so we worked and saved until the time was right. It's been a great life.

Only thing is, over the years, she's turned into an old hag, while I still look like a young Brad Pitt.