Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: [FREE] DVD movies!  (Read 1541 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
[FREE] DVD movies!
« on: October 14, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »
Fri 14 Oct 2016, 6:28 pm

Hi ForumMates,

I am transferring all of my movies and stuff to hard drives and streaming and so would like to find a good home for my DVDs.  Back in the early days of the 21st Century, Number 1 Bar had a sort of lending library of books & DVDs.  Are there any bars or cafes or shops or whatever doing something similar that I can donate the DVDs to? Individuals are welcome too, of course.

DISCLAIMER:  If I were a fine fellow--which is highly debatable--I would have checked to see that al the DVDs still play.  Unfortunately, it seems that (some) DVDs don't last indefinitely, and some of mine are few years old. So, I have no idea how many are still good.  I also am too lazy to make a list of titles, but the attached photos may help.

If anyone is interested, post here or send a PM.

Thanks, lah!

Jimmy

• View Profile
Re: [FREE] DVD movies!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:58:41 AM »
that is alot of DVD's Rex.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:17:03 AM »
that is alot of DVD's Rex.

Yes, that is a lot of movies. 

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
".....it seems that (some) DVDs don't last indefinitely".

Correct, I think it's an aluminium layer that degrades especially on very old ones, CDs as well.

It is worth knowing that as it's easy to think you have important files "safely" backed up on CD/DVD only to find they don't work any more.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
It used to be a pleasant ritual stopping by the DVD shop at Tuckcom or at the night market and browsing for movies to watch.  It was also frustrating as as those DVDs sometimes would not play sabotaging a plan for the evening and requiring a trip back to the shop. Now, I just get everything online either as a download or streaming.  With hard drive space being relatively cheap, storage is no problem.  With new teevees having a USB and built-in media player, you no longer even need an additional android box or whatever.  Just pop a flash drive into the USB port and you are good to go.

It is just a little bit stunning to have lived through the era when you either went to the cinema to watch movies or waited for them to be broadcast on commercial teevee.  Then came cable.  Then Betamax and VHS.  Then CDs, then DVDs.  Now the damn things are as obsolete as horse and buggy.  If the actual discs lasted longer, there might be a small future for them in lending libraries or whatever.  However, because the degrade eventually, the entire industry will just be a memory in a few years.