Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Netflix now available in Thailand without proxy or VPN  (Read 4484 times)

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
Netflix now available in Thailand without proxy or VPN
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:06:54 AM »
Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:44 am

Hi ForumMates,

Netflix is now available in Thailand without the need for a proxy server or VPN.  In fact, Netflix is now supposedly blocking members using a VPN from outside of the U.S. to access full U.S. content.  What you get from Thailand is more limited, but I don't know specifically how much more limited.

Anyway, you can get Netflix in Thailand now, just go to their website and sign up http://www.NewFlix.com for around US$12 per month.  You can try for one month at no charge.

Newflix has a vast amount of content, but depending upon your interests, it may or may not have anyting you want to watch.  For example, no news or sports.  However, literally thousands of movies and TV series, but most of the series, as far as I can tell, are previous seasons.

Season 2, brand new, of "Better Call Saul," the "Breaking Bad" spinnoff will be streamed in February, each episode will air the day after it airs on teevee.  The quality is great, but as series are so readily available via torrent, this may not make Netflix any more attractive.

The Netflix catalog search is not very user-friendly in that to find out what is playing, you have to frustratingly scroll through vast lists of content.  I just found "Better Call Saul" by accident.  I still have no idea what else might be on offer that I want to see.

However, for me, it is worth the $12 Bucks because of the large collections of WONDERFUL documentaries which I am finding hugely entertaining and informative.  Most of the the series I have no interest in.  The movies, although there are bzillions of them, I have either already seen or have no interest in. I am unusual, I think, in that I am perfectly happy to go to the cinema to watch some piece of crap, but I would not invest two hours in it on video at home.   I have not fooled around with it enough to comment on any of the Netflix original programming except for the extraordinary "Sense 8" which I saw on torrent last year!

Anyway, if you like mostly moves and series, check it out.

Red Parrot Fish

• View Profile
Re: Netflix now available in Thailand without proxy or VPN
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »
Pretty poor and a waste of money in my view.
Nothing like the content you get in other versions of Netflix.
Mostly old movies and American stuff.

From what I can see you are better off using a VPN and logging into the U.S version.
I had the one month free trial and cancelled it after a few days.
Good quality streaming though.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
Netflix and Hulu are now blocking VPN and proxy.  The block is in place now and functioning from what I have read.  Whether Netflix, et al will be 100% successful in blocking 100% of VPNs is an open question.  One VPN (verified elsewhere) told me you  can get around it by opting for a dedicated IP addy from your VPN provider, but that is another $60 or so per year on top of the regular VPN charges. It gets to the point where if you are not a BIG teevee fan, the hassle and expensive is hardly worth it. 

Is there any side-by-side comparison of the U.S. and Thailand content?  That would be helpful.

Of course, I doubt that it will be very long before the VPN or some other technology figures out a way to avoid being being blocked by Netflix.

As for me, I am thoroughly enjoying the documentaries available on Netflix Thailand.  Well worth the $12 bucks so far.  The PBS series on the Roosevelts' is superb.  Not only showed me how little I knew about either of them (Teddy and Franklin)),  but serves as a University-level education about the 1920s and 1930s.  Really wonderful.   

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
 After one year ... Any recent updates / reviews on Netflix Thailand content ? Any work around for VPNs blocked ?

bennl1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 01:36:26 PM »
Mostly old and/or low rated stuff.
Hardly any specific content for asia with or without English subtitles.

I was happy for a while with Latin American content, but that has been blocked a few months ago. Apparently they were not supposed to show it.

So, because of our region we can't see the good stuff, while there is no compensation by adding regional stuff.
Image quality is very good though and it's cheap.

avvocato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
Is this an accurate depiction of TV and movie content.
TV: https://www.finder.com/th/netflix-tv-shows
Very few I'd be interested in ...
Movies: https://www.finder.com/th/netflix-movies
No 2016 movies , 11 2015 movies ...
all in all kinda pathetic IMHO
That being said, has anyone tried this notwithstanding the VPN block ... http://tech.thaivisa.com/revealed-the-secret-netflix-codes-that-unlock-thousands-of-extra-tv-shows-and-movies/19709/

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:10:56 PM by avvocato »

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:18:40 PM »
I have Netflix Thailand.  Lots of stuff on, but from what I understand, thousands less titles than the U.S. version. I had a great time in the beginning.  Many superb documentaries and a few shows of interest (Black Mirror, Better Call Saul, Mythbusters) but I exhausted the titles I was interested in.  I really ought to cancel, but it's only $10/mo, and I guess if I find a few things to watch in a month it may be worth it.

It is on my list to cancel and re-subscribe using a VPN or smart proxy but I have not gotten a round tuit.

christofer77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:30:32 PM »
After one year ... Any recent updates / reviews on Netflix Thailand content ? Any work around for VPNs blocked ?

Any news on Netflix and VPN now in 2018? I want one with good speed from the US to Asia. Have had a look at https://www.sneakflix.com but didn't tried it yet.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:26:07 AM »
Cristofer77, I am using "astrill.com".  They are great with many throughout the world that you can access.  If you use their 'stealth mode', most US networks allow you through as if you are in the US in the city you select.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
i will try it out tomorrow and see.  I used netflix in the states, cancelled it when i left, be nice to see what they have on offer. 

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »
Jimmy, what did you find?  Right now, I am very pleased with the Netflix service plus NO BUFFERING!!

Our other service (IPPlaybox) had one of those likely server crashes, I think only an excuse.  They are finally up again as "uhdtv4k.com" but with less than a 1/4 of the movies and series as before.  I was told they had probably tagged on to another service.  Where did the original go?  Expect the Thai Government shut them down.