Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Author Topic: Poof....Gone  (Read 317 times)

Pope Willie

• View Profile
Poof....Gone
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:35:09 PM »
Stopped by Alex's All Day Breakfast today and found it,---"Poof...Gone".   

For Rent sign on door.  darn.--
Got me to wondering,   how many farang food restaurants and bars have come and gone in the last 10 or so years ? 

I've been living in Khon Kaen pre-Donna's Farang food shop (small room with a few shelves) and Nigel and Gigi's ownership of Seven's Bar and seems like all the farang restaurants come and then, go.
Sad to see.   Only one I know of, hangin' on now is the pizza place right near Piman Chol.
Why can't they last ?   Quality,  price of food,  type of food, cost of rent ??
Again,   sad to see 

screamer

• View Profile
Re: Poof....Gone
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 06:45:52 PM »
Not enough farangs going out eating and those that do will be spread around several places.

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:26:04 AM »
It doesn't just stop with farang food.  Unless the place is well established and has a dirth of clientele, poof.....gone!  My wife go out at least 3-4 times a week, either for lunch or dinner.  Many times we find a new Thai restaurant and eat there several times, but like you said poof.....gone!

Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »

Not surprising at all. The restaurant business is difficult in any country. Now you try it in a foreign country, it's almost certain to fail.

Rex (Admin)

• Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Khon Kaen Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
Khon Kaen does not have much of a "town center" other than the section around Kosa, which is not exactly central to anything. Falang are spread out.  With easy access to the internet and smart phones, it is much easier to be self-sufficient than it was when I first moved here 14 years ago when there was no traffic to speak of and Number 1 Bar served as a kind of falang gathering, along with Erik's and Sevens.  Now falang are capable of being much more independent and self-sufficient and do not represent a unified market for businesses to cater to.

Pope Willie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
All indications and comments point to, farang restaurants in Khon Kaen face strong head winds. 

I guess, moral of the story is, if you find a good farang food shop in Khon Kaen. you'd better chow down, because 9 chances out of 10 it'll be "Poof--Gone" before you know it. 

Rc27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »
Loveboospizza.

That pizza Base is as good as any I had in Italy.

Really good quality pizza. Best to date. Bit disappointed with KK food so far. Found one favourite food place in 6 months. Also the chap that was in beunh kaen nakhon with kebab. That guy made great kebabs

LungBing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 04:54:19 PM »
My wife and I have a standing joke whenever we see a new restaurant when we're driving anywhere.  "Quick, let's go there before they close down".

fceligoj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 07:20:00 AM »
Rc27, I am surprised by your comment about not being able to find any good restaurants in Khon Kaen.  If you like Thai food, there are a great many that serve fabulous food.  Whether it is Isan style, southern Thai style or Chiang Mai style, there are a great many good restaurants.  There are even at least three Vietnamese restaurants which serve great Vietnamese style foods plus a few really good real Chinese restaurant, not the Western abominations you find in the western world.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
There used to be  a thread for recommending restaurants.

Rc27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 02:19:10 AM »
Fceligoj.

Vietnamese - one by airport on Maliwan rd next to lamai. Very tasty spring rolls though. Ok but had much much better in kalasin. Other one we tried was in nai muang or near there. Was left wanting. The kalasin guy is moving here in November. 

Central plaza - tommy yan or something - very nice soup and noodles.

Yam Naem in KK.  Tried 5-6 places all greasy.

Love khon kaen just not blown away by the food here thus far.

screamer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 02:40:17 AM »
Owl Castle opposite the airport turn-off was a weird experience but the food was very good.