Big Welcome to the OFFICIAL Khon Kaen Forum!

Visit the Wild & Crazy Khon Kaen Forum Discussion Group on facebook

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - fceligoj

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55
Visas, et al / Re: Forgot to do my 90 Day Report
« on: Today at 07:51:14 AM »
Yes, IMM does not like to complete the process for an Visa Extension by marriage.  It means quite a bit of work on their part.  Here is the process my UK friend had to go through about 13 months ago.  He just finished his renewal (had to have a same day letter from the bank.)  How do I know?  My wife was one of his witnesses.

1.  Yes, 400,000 baht just like the 800,000 baht for a retirement extension.  Same rules, need to have funds in an account at a bank (in your name only) for at least 3 months before application (but then you can spend the money until 3 (or 2) months before reapplying.
2.  Need pictures of your home and family (especially if you have children). Also, a passport-type picture of you.
3.  Need 2 witnesses that live near you (MY WIFE WAS A WITNESS FOR A UK FRIEND OF OURS.)  The witnesses are brought in for an interview.  The IMM officer does the interview to prove the marriage is not a sham.  The IMM officer then prepares documents including the interview response from the witnesses but others that each witness needs to come back to sign.
4.  You need a current letter (including deposit details) from the bank where the money is deposited (I think no later than one day or maybe same day, and you have to make a current deposit of any amount to the account)-same as retirement extension.
5.  A police report??? (not sure about this)
6.  Of course, the application and the supporting documents as you would for any extension.
7.  The IMM prepares a complete package puts all the documents on a memory stick (that you provide) and sends it to the next higher headquarters in Khorat.

Then all parties wait until it is approved, not at the local office.  The only reason my wife was asked to be an interviewee, one of the first session's interviewees did not want to go and finalize her statements so we went in on a Saturday (at the invitation of the IMM officer) to add the 2nd witness, my wife, and sign all the previously prepared documents including the new ones my wife had to complete.

At renewal time, the only item not required is the interview of 2 witnesses.  So yes, it probably takes less than 30 minutes to complete a renewal.

This compared to what you do for a retirement extension, you can see why the IMM Office does not like to do marriage extensions.  Everyone makes out that it is easy as baking a cake when it is much more extensive since IMM does not want to be party to a marriage sham.

Where to find . . . / Re: Where to buy Sweet Sherry
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »
Try Makro over by the pharmacy.  My wife buy cheap Chinese wine or whiskey with which to cook.

Open discussion / Re: Air Pollution in Khon Kaen
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:57:35 AM »
If you have been following the BangkokPost, look at the issues with pollution in Bangkok!  It reminded me of Beijing.  They said they are going to do something in about a month to alleviate the problem, like seeding the clouds, but you have to have clouds.  And why so long?

Also, they are not concerned with cities elsewhere.  I guess since they don't live there, they really don't care.

Every morning when I go outside I check the hood of my SUV.  It is covered with grit.  When you go and sweep the road gutter out front, there is always an accumulation of ultrafine sand/dirt, worse than dust.  Without rain, this will not change.  Nothing can be done about it when it is throughout the area.  We DON't open any windows in the house, only use a/c and we still get 'dust' accumulation.  The filters on the a/c's cannot remove all the ultrafine particles.  We even have four air purifiers running all the time.

Visas, et al / Re: Forgot to do my 90 Day Report
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »
Yep, and now you are on their list.  Record's been red flagged!!  555

Stuff For Sale / 2006 Yamaha BF-115D For Sale
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
Runs good.  Maintained oil change, etc, every 1000 Km.  Rubber is still good.  Any repairs done in a timely manner by a mechanic.  Firm - 5,000 baht.

Maybe businesses such as hotels, etc, are the only ones that can get the authority to submit through the internet once they get the authorization from IMM.


Had nothing else to do so I went on the Immigration website, and found the following instruction under this link:การแจ้งที่พักคนต่างด้าว

The instruction states that the form can be submitted via the internet, but HOW?  I think Jimmy needs to assist us with that.
Notification of residence for foreigners
According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30. The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:
- In person at the respective office, or
- Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
- By registered mail, or
- Via internet.
Filling in the foreign national residence notification form (TM. 30)
Please fill in all requested information according to the foreign national's passport, as often arriving passengers do not fill in the correct data on the arrival card. The form can be typed or handwritten in clear block letters. Leave a space between name, middle name, and surname.     
  • If the passport number is preceded or followed by a letter, fill in the letter too.
  • Write the arrival card number (TM. 6) in the respective field. The arrival card is stapled into the passport. Both letters and numbers of the arrival card number must be filled in.
  • Arrival date means the date of arrival in Thailand. Date of accommodation must be filled in on the front page of the notification sheet.
  • After the officer in charge has verified the information on the notification sheet (TM. 30), he accepts the notification and hands over the lower part of the form to the person making the notification. This part must be kept for further checking.
    For details contact 0-2141-7881

Visas, et al / Re: Forgot to do my 90 Day Report
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:57:16 PM »
Rex, if you have a smart phone, and if you don't have a calendar app in it, download one.  I use mine constantly.  I will put a reminder in the calendar about 3-5 days before due so "it will then remind me!"  The same with my retirement extension due date and as well as the Embassy Outreach I wish to attend, etc!

That is interesting that Jimmy's wife is emailing it in.  Thought you had to have an IMM officer or police sign the receipt and give it back to the individual preparing Form 30.

To each his own, but from a very reliable source, it was seriously suggested to keep a copy of the DL in the car.  If the cop objects to it, he will then request that you come to the station with the original.

Same with women drivers, go through a 'sobriety check point, the farang will get to blow in the tube while a woman (Thai of course) is directed to pass through.  It has happened multiple times with my wife and me in the car, her driving.  When I would drive, I got to blow into the tube!

We've always kept a copy of the registration in each of the cars.  But seeing this, reminded me to make copies of my new Driver's License.  It is better to hand the police a copy and not the original, which they might keep and tell you to come to the station to pick it up.

The other interesting note, if there is a checkpoint up ahead, let your Thai wife or gf be in the driver's seat.  When she slows down to go through the checkpoint, have her roll down the window.  Seldom will the police stop a woman driver, especially a Thai one!

The only time it has happened, my wife was driving her friend's car with an expired registration sticker-unknown to my wife of course.  (The woman owner was in the passenger seat and made a big fuss over it.  She got fined on the spot and they could not move on until the police were satisfied on the whose car it was. They provided them with a temporary sticker.)

Open discussion / Re: Hard truths living as an expat in Thailand
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:04:25 PM »
Here are my comments . . . .

Like Kowpot, I agree with his position overall.

But the author doesn't work the solutions like many of the Thais do.  Also, it seems he is talking from the tourist perspective, but then mixes in our temporary extensions to stay without making the distinctions.

1.  QUEUES. If you are not interested in waiting in line, in many places, and if your significant other (who is of Course Thai) 'knows the ropes', she will ask what it will take to move up in the line.  It usually is about 200-300 baht - it's just the cost of getting express service!

2.  Doing business, NOT corruption for stuff we get involved with every day.  Let your significant other work out the details and let her negotiate a settlement.  It is like getting your Yellow Book, the administrator in the Amphor wants 500 baht.  If you let her ask him why, he will tell you he needs to pay 2 witnesses for her to get the book.  So let her get two of her friends at the Gov't Offices to be the witnesses.  NO COST!  EASY!

3.  National Parks, etc, Thai prices vs farangs -  USE YOUR PINK CARD, IT USUALLY WORKS.  IF NOT, DON'T GO!

4.  Should really care about the mound of paperwork the Thais have the propensity to do.  Then think about how easy it is to pay bills or pay for services or a purchased item.  Here, you can go online with your smart phone to your favorite banking institution and transfer funds directly to another persons or business's bank account, no writing of checks, no need for a credit card OR CASH!  CAN'T do so easily in the us.
[/size]5.  Since I am on a Retirement Extension, I don't give a crap about starting a business.  From my perspective, most farangs if they have an ongoing business, it is based on the internet with no involvement with the Thai infrastructure (maybe that will change with the Thai push towards eCommerce.)

[/size]6.  Two tiered pricing.  If you have your significant other with you and she is good at it and knows the 'lay of the land', she will get you the Thai price or she will tell you that the two of you will walk away.  In the touristy areas, I love it that the Thais charge double or triple to farangs.  When we go, my better half just checks out Pantip and finds where the Thai locals are in those areas with local prices.  Also, more power to them in the touristy areas where they charge the Chinese 2,3,4 times the Thai prices!  The only place my pink card did not work is when we went to the Grand Palace and got an adamant NO!  AND oh by the way, there is NOTHING TO SEE at the Grand Palace anyway.

[/size]7.  Hopefully, none of us still fall for the Thai bargirl story.  Let them use their slick stories to have  that farang tourist part with his money!

[/size]8.  If you have a really good significant other, issues with polices,etc, disappear.  Immigration?  Like someone said, take all possible combinations of the required paperwork and let them ferret it out.  More is better!!  Also, put a calendar in your smart phone and put the significant dates in it several days in advance so you can be prepared without having to memorize when things need to be done.


[/size]10.  Not much can we do about the road carnage, just let them go about their lives as they see fit.  If they die, they die.  AND like someone else on this Forum said, don't go out driving on the key dates when Thais decide they need to get drunker than normal!

[/size]The author of the Phuket Gazette article has no concept of getting around all the issues and living a great life in the Land of Smiles!  He really 'doesn't get it!'

Visas, et al / Re: Yellow Residence Book? Permanent Residence?
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
Here is a link to the Thai Embassy site discussing Thai Permanent Residency.

For those of you too lazy to go to the website:

Thai Permanent Residency[/color][size=inherit]
A lot of people want to stay permanently in Thailand as it is one of the most sought-after destinations in South East Asia offering a low yet convenient standard of living.

There are a lot of inquiries from foreigners who are constantly on a trip to the Land of Smiles as to how they can apply for [/color]Thai Permanent Resident status.
Obtaining status as a Permanent Resident (PR) in Thailand has many advantages. It allows you to live permanently in Thailand, with no requirement to apply for an extension of stay. You can also have your name on a house registration document, and you will be able to buy a condominium without making a bank transfer from abroad. Getting a work permit is also made easier once you have PR status.
In addition to this, you can be eligible to become a director of a Thai public company, as well as eventually apply to become a naturalized Thai citizen. You will also be able apply for an extension of stay and Permanent Resident status for your non-Thai family members.
All applications for Thai Permanent Residency is processed by the Royal Thai Immigration Commission. The annual quota for granting permanent residency in Thailand is a maximum of 100 persons per country. The application period for Thai PR usually from October to the end of December of every year.
In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:
You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:Investment category (minimum 3 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)Working/ Business categorySupport a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.Expert / academic categoryOther categories as determined by Thai ImmigrationYou should note that the list of required documents for the application depends on the category under which the application is made.
Once your application for Thai Permanent Residency is approved, a residence blue book is issued to you. You must then register your place of residence in Thailand at the local Amphur and obtain a house card. A week after the receipt of your residence certificate you can then apply for an alien book (red book) at the local police station, which is the equivalent of the Thai national ID card. You must re-register there every year.
The Residency Permit itself never expires, unless revoked. To be able to leave the country and return to Thailand, however, requires you to apply for a re-entry permit (endorsement).
You can file an application to become a Thai naturalized citizen after holding Permanent Resident status in Thailand for 10 consecutive years.

Open discussion / Re: EMS delivery
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:32:28 PM »
Russell17au, you need to get your gf or wife to do the translation.  What you have there is the literal one, not the real translation.  She should be able to assist you.

Depending on the parcel, if shipped internationally and contains something of declared monetary value, you may have to go to the customs office of Thai Postal to get it and pay the customs tax.

I had 'used' utensils shipped with a declared value on them (international shipping).  Had to pay 150 baht.  A friend of mine had a shipment from AliExpress, each with a declared value.  He had to go to the customs post office and pay 700 baht each!

Where to find . . . / Re: pig and sheep casings
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
Was not looking for the pig casings, but I am pretty sure they were in one of the tubs at the meat section.  I would imagine Thais 'gobble' them up so to speak!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55